Thread: 1989 Ram/50 turn signal flasher location.

Array
    Status
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

1989 Ram/50 turn signal flasher location.

Can anyone tell me where the turn signals flasher is located. I looked in the area behind the fuse panel as well as above and in the vicinity but to no avail. Could it be right in front of me and I am not noticing it. The reason I am looking for it, is because, my turn signals are not working, as well as, my emergency flasher. I wanted to check the flasher first before I proceed further.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Those are handled by 2 different flashers, so the problem is most likely not the flashers. Check the fuses for proper contact tension on the fuses themselves as well as the fuses being good. Sometimes a fuse will fail looking good, but be open due to the fuse vibrating in the holder and the solder melts away from the element. If all that is good, remove the retaining screws for the fuse block and check for corrosion on the back of the block - these trucks are notorious for windshield leaks that corrode the back of the block and cause weird electrical problems.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Mahalo Pennyman for the quick reply. I'll double check the fuses by replacing them, then I'll proceed further. If all looks good, do you think, more than likely, the turn signal switch is the culprit? Also, related to the first question, can you let me know where the flasher(s) are located, and if they look like the typical flashers?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    they look like typical flashers and are up under the dash near the column. And yes, the turn signal switch could cause that, but it would have to be broken badly for it to kill the turn signals completely.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    This might be something that should be generally known but the fenders seem to have something to do with the leak issue.
    Its just a theory since I replaced the windshield & gasket at about the same time as I opened up the lower section of the fenders and cleaned out a LOT of debris and mud. I think that the water from the cowl is supposed to drain out that way and over time it backs up with gunk that forces the water to just sit there and eventually find its way into the cab through the firewall.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Both will cause the leak, but the windshield is the usual culprit for the fuse box corrosion
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Pennyman, I checked the fuse box and everything looked good, then I tested , with the power on, all the fuses and they all have power running through them. I'm having a feeling that I may have a ground issue. If I have power to the fuse, is the power coming from the switch or going to the switch? I don't have a computer and my phone cannot download a schematic so I appreciate you taking your time to help out till I can get a decent manual.
    Mahalo

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    It goes through the switch. You being in Hawaii makes it really tough to come up with parts to try. I have to find the 89 manual I have to see where the power comes from and goes to.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Mahalo, I'll keep in touch and if come up with anything I'll let you know.

Array
    Status
    Hilo, Hawaii
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I found the problem. My truck doesn't come equipped with the regular style flashers. It has the relay style of flasher which is 3 pronged. My truck only has 1flasher which operates both the emergency flasher as well as turn signals. The flasher was no good.
    Anyway, I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and help.
    Mahalo and shakas.