Array
    Status
    DFW-TX
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Newbie with Dad's 1994 Mighty Max

Hey guys/gals great site! I've been browsing the forum trying to get some questions answered and so far so good. Back in 1994 my Dad bought a white exterior with blue interior standard cab Mighty Max from Big Billy Barrett Mitsubishi in Dallas, TX. He drove that little truck everyday to work and back and racked up 100's of thousands of miles. He used to kid me because he said it was all done on the original clutch. (I burned through two clutches on my 1993 Civic within a short amount of time...I drove little different than Dad) But anyway he kept up all maintenance on it for years. Unfortunately, my Dad passed in 2005 and the truck wasn't driven very often because it was a stick and my Mom couldn't drive it. My oldest brother assumed ownership of it and drove it until the clutch, transmission, and engine finally failed. He retired last year and began working on restoring the truck. He had all the mechanicals repaired or replaced, but unfortunately the good Lord chose to take him to be with HIM this past February. Fast forward to present and I am the new caretaker of this cool little truck. I purchased it from my brother's estate and began a thorough cleaning process.

I removed the seat, carpeting, seat upholstery and power washed everything. Everything was re-installed and it looks like a million bucks. I applied paint cleaner and then waxed it as well, making her shine again. I plan on teaching my kids how to drive it and hopefully they'll see the sentimental value the truck has.

Anyway, thanks for having me and I look forward to reading more about these great little trucks!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. Sorry to hear of the passing of your brother. Your truck has a good family history and I think your dad would be proud. These trucks are a tough and reliable bit of machinery and as your dad had proved, they will do their thing as long as you service them regularly and don't expect it to pull down mountains. When you have mastered uploading pics, start a thread and post some photos up for us!

Array
    Status
    DFW-TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Here are a few photos of the truck after a good cleaning. I also removed the back bumper, one because it was bent and two because when my Dad bought it didn't come with one. It's really funny how plain-jane this little truck really is. Bare bones transportation to say the least.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    DFW-TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    One more thing, the original steering wheel is going back on. My brother added the smaller rally steering wheel because it gave him a little more wiggle room inside the cab, since he was a bigger guy.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    What a beautiful specimen! There's much to be said about simplicity. This truck is a wonderful treasure, and you have no where to go but up, from here!

Is that a circa '72 Torino wagon in the garage? Looks like you take good care of classics.

If you plan to wax your truck, try washing it with soap, but also cleanser. The cleanser is a good prep for waxing, as it is just abrasive enough to take off road scum but not hurt the finish.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    If you can post a picture or two of the engine, we can tell you what it is. (Note also the metal plate on the firewall, passenger side, should have that information).

Engine:

I.D.K.?
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    DFW-TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Ya know I meant to change that "IDK", but I left the engine info at home.

Good eye, Yes it's a 1973 Ford Torino wagon "replica" of the one my Dad bought brand new in 1973 from McAnary Ford in Gary, Indiana.

It took me about 3 1/2 years to restore her, but we LOVE it!
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    DFW-TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    BEFORE photo:
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Wow, what a transformation! If you did THAT to a Ford, your little truck is going to be show-room sweet!

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Nice work and welcome to the forum. I use to like the Vista Cruiser for their curved roof glass. My parents owned a Dodge Sierra wagon with a push button Automatic.

Array
    Status
    DFW-TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I finally had time to go over to my brother's place and search for that Steering wheel and thank GOD I found it. It has some sun damaged dry rot, but I think I can clean it up and possibly add a steering wheel cover to make it look good again before I re-install it.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    DFW-TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I've been working on the steering wheel this week and it was more sun damaged than I hoped. I took it all apart and cleaned it up really good using POR-15 products. I used Marine Clean-Degreaser then let it dry over night before I masked it off and filled in the cracks with POR-15 filler putty/epoxy. After that, I let dry over night again and then used Klean-Strip Bull Dog paint adhesion promoter before I painted it with some vinyl dye. I then used some vinyl to construct a steering wheel cover, which I still have to sew on the steering wheel in a baseball stitch pattern before it goes back on the truck. What do you guys think?

Instructional video from YOUTUBE (not mine): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sStxk4mv_DY

Here are a few photos of the repaired wheel itself and a new clock I found at a local salvage yard.

Most of these products were left over from my wagon restoration so I am not out very much money.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    wow, great job on that

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Outstanding You even went the extra mile and made a wheel cover to match.

Array
    Status
    DFW-TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thanks Guys for the kudos. I have a lead on a set of MM Sport chrome wheels with tires for $150.00. Being I'm just getting into this what do yall think? Is that a good deal for these wheels?

They are similar to these here:

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Wheels and tires? IMO a pretty good deal. You would probably struggle to get just the wheels at that price. As long as they're not beat up.

Array
    Status
    DFW-TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Finally got the wheel back on...I like it!
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    WOO HOO! Nice job, and the whole cab looks great!

Array
    Status
    DFW-TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thank you Sir. I took a quick photo of the engine tag:
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    DFW-TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    So I went out to start the truck this morning and drive it around the lot when as soon as I placed the key in the ignition the horn started wailing. I hit the horn pad a few times to no avail. I had to disconnect the battery to get it to quiet down. I had read somewhere about the horn sticking like this, so I guess I have to do a little more research to remedy the problem.

If anyone has any tips or tricks about this I would appreciate it. Just FYI do not drive this truck everyday, but I do start it and drive it around the block a few times a month to keep everything in working order.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    you really just want to give everything a clean with white spirits. Theres just a copper contact in there and a ring on the column. They can get gummed up with human slime over the years.
    add a little electric grease in there if you like.

Although, i think the horn is always live, did you knock it getting in? because i would imagine it would have gone before the truck was started.
    Might be that the ground wire in the horn pad has come loose

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The insulating pad in them goes bad and then they make permanent contact. You'll need to take the horn pad off and look at the condition of the pad underneath it. You can bodge one together easily enough.

Array
    Status
    DFW-TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Thanks guys for the suggestions. I will drive her home this weekend and take a look. Hopefully I can get it fixed. This was the horn repair "How-to" I remember reading once before:

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ht=horn+repair

Array
    Status
    Louisville,Ky
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G63
    Welcome , cool machines you have. The truck is obviously in the right hands. They come to us in so many different ways.

Array
    Status
    DFW-TX
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowfat930 View Post
    Welcome , cool machines you have. The truck is obviously in the right hands. They come to us in so many different ways.
    Thank you Sir! It's great to have a place to go to and be able to ask a question and get a correct answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast