Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B

Welding 4G63 Intake Manifold

Those who have done the 4G63 swap, what did you use to weld your Intake Manifold? I've taken it to 5 machine shop and all have turned me down. I know my MIG will not get it done, what TIG filler rod/tip should I use?

Array
    Status
    Morgan City, La
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    I know this is a old thread but lots of people end up here looking for information.. So I figured I would link to a video of a guy working on cast aluminum.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAVzzVHMQGY

I will be doing a manifold mod soon I will add a link to that vid once I do it..

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    a couple starion 2.6 owners diy MIG weld modified their imported fwd Mitsu magna
    Somebody brought a friend an Eastwood MIG to weld on a cut-off bellhousing ring to agapt another gearbox
    After using the MIG, he purchased one to do 90% of his aluminum welding
    He says its wayyyyyy faster, less fussy, cheaper and easier than the TIG
    So his big old Miller TIG collecting dust in his workshop (PC board failed twice, no interest in fixing it again)

Another buddy is a rotary enging guru, who Stick welded(big ol Lincoln DC) all his aluminium way back in the day
    I'm no pro, but the welds look good to me, and most importantly.. zero failures. His street car scared the crap outta me

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If you can't get a machine shop to tackle it, maybe try a cylinder head recon'd shop. They weld alloy all the time. There shouldn't be a lot involved with swapping the ends over on a intake plenum.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    bwannabeast,

A local Community College or Technical School might have a welding program... Go there, be nice, get fixed cheap
    P.S. Do NOT go around the Instructor; stay away from the students... Good Luck...

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    bwannabeast,

A local Community College or Technical School might have a welding program... Go there, be nice, get fixed cheap
    P.S. Do NOT go around the Instructor; stay away from the students... Good Luck...
    A good tip You will need to figure out how to pressure test it so you'll know the welds are solid, but even then that shouldn't be that hard to pull off.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function