Thread: need serious help with 2.0 sohc timing issues.......i neeed help! off wrk by 6

Array
    Status
    concord nc
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

need serious help with 2.0 sohc timing issues.......i neeed help! off wrk by 6

inherited my brother in laws mm when he passed .it was in need of serious help. replaced parts: new mikuni carb ,universals timing and all gaskets ,starter battery ,wires ,rotor and cap,plugs,oil etc,full gasket rebuild and used original head .did timing and ran great but started having valve and lifter issues ,got another head used replaced all parts but rocker assembly and valve springs,ported polished and jet valve elimination ,had it resurfaced lightly,new valve where slightly longer than original ones so had them shaved down a bit.turns good cam was also polished .got everything back together and got truck running but I'm shfting into second and when I get toward middle of second I'm not continuing to build pressure to end of gear its getting louder but not picking up speed like it was before head swap??II NEED HELP.....PLZ

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. Sorry to hear of the passing of your brother in law - my condolences. Are there any other symptoms that there is a fault somewhere? There could be a number of issues that can 'nerf' an engine - tired ignition coil, non functioning vacuum advance on the distributor, tired fuel pump, blocked fuel filters, faulty secondary throttle vacuum actuator (seeming you have installed a new carb I would tend to cross this one off the list), belt timing out, distributor timing out etc. When you ported the head what did you do to the exhaust ports? If you have port matched them to the exhaust manifold this will instantly kill performance (probably the #1 mistake made with engine porting).
    Last edited by geezer101; 04-25-2017 at 05:24 AM.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Welcome to the forum

Is the truck an automatic? Seems you had problems the same way before and after all the work has been done. Are you sure it is not a problem with the transmission.
    Check the plugs and make sure it is burning the fuel correctly. Check vacuum lines and you should also do a compression test to confirm your work is done correctly. DO a re-torque in 500 miles also.
    Timing missed by one tooth can cause havoc on our engines and happens all the time and is very easily done and you would swear it was done right.
    Doing so much work at one time can cause confusion, take each step at a time eliminating one thing at a time. Keep us informed of your progress and try to take photos or video to describe your issue as best as possible. Some where here someone has had the same issue, this will give you the best chance to fix the problem.

Array
    Status
    concord nc
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    k so got smart and bought compression tester and timing light ,compression good ,117 -120,but timing not so good, turned dial almost to 35 on timing light to line up with TDC......stay tuned Saturday I fix it will post pics and keep posting.exaust untouched and cut off just after back of cab ,sounds great lol thanks for the help

Array
    Status
    concord nc
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    got timing light ,was off by 35 ...gonna wrk on Saturday ,will keep posting