Thread: Choke Wire Fell Off Carb & Shorted Out Starter.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Choke Wire Fell Off Carb & Shorted Out Starter.

I have supplied a video with the issue I have and what I did trying to repair. Can't figure out why Starter is pre-spinning up before key reaches ignition. The plug I use for choke power must of completed a circuit to starter. Please remember this truck is modified and only thing stock is the wiring, lol.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    There is more melted together. Dig in further and under the dash. The choke runs off the Acc in the run position. Somewhere it got melted to the start wire.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Ok, will check. I have a feeling that thick black wire with thin white stripe going into truck cab might be it. Its my 3rd starter wire. Possible the key ignition switch. I fuggin hate electrical checking. unwrapping wire. I better go buy some E. tape now. *&^%$$

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    whip out a wiring schematic...whatever "line" you tapped to power the choke needs to be checked for "load" damage (which in your case has also damaged another "line" that operates starter)...not a fun task.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by ragragtimetime View Post
    whip out a wiring schematic...whatever "line" you tapped to power the choke needs to be checked for "load" damage (which in your case has also damaged another "line" that operates starter)...not a fun task.
    Exactly, and I hate electrical with a passion. I hate to start unwrapping tapped up wires also. I am going to disconnect the 3rd starter wire and see if that is the ground that is effecting the starter. I am almost positive it didn't burn up the main starter cable
    so it has to be the 3rd wire for the starter that gives it full voltage during a start instead of the 9volt. If it isn't that, I think the ignition switch got it. Since it is spinning the starter just before it hits the ignition and starter circuit it seems like the likely subject. Nothing smoked in the cab at all. I had no smells there, it was all under hood. So I will start my search there.
    One thing with schematics is they always have ACC and amp gauges and etc etc shoved into the diagram. Wish I had the basic version for my truck specifically so I am not chasing non existent leads to empty plugs.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Back tracing the electrical short and I found one exploded diode I used to protect the starter from a reverse polarity and to increase the voltage during the cranking start to a full 12 volts. I will replace the diode and wire and keep tracing until completed. This diode looks to be the culprit of a grounded power source and i hope it is the problem with starter pre-spinning in ACC. Should find out tomorrow after installing new wiring.

1N5404 One Way Barrel diode
    Max forward 3 amp
    Peak inverse 400v
    Peak forward surge 200amp

starter.jpg

The diode cracked strangely like this image below
    d.jpg
    Last edited by BradMph; 04-23-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    That will do it if it is shorted - surprised it didn't fail open.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Well I don't know what I did, but this is what happened.
    I replaced the diode and all the burned wires under the hood. After completing, I tried to test the fixes and the starter still twirled in ACC. I then decided to separate the column covers and check ignition. I noticed no burned wires. I switched out the switch with another one I had and it twirled the starter again. So, I removed the backup electrical switch I used to test with and replaced with the original one and tried it again. SURPRISE, the truck stopped twirling the starter and it was acting like it should. No more ACC starter twirling. I tried it several times and it fixed itself somehow. I am very weary of this at the moment because I would hate to have it start acting up while driving and burn wiring farther. But, at the moment the truck has repaired the issue and most likely by me moving wiring around in the steering column possibly.
    I am going to start wrapping the wires I unwrapped back up and secure everything. Checking each step for a return issue. God works in mysterious ways and I hope I got a helping hand from above. We will see. I will update thread as soon as I complete putting it back together.