Array
    Status
    Moorpark CA.
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

How long to hold manual glow plug button on cold mornings? 4d55t

I just picked up my 83 ram 50 4d55t and I'm wondering how long to hold the glow plug button on cold mornings. The previous owner connected a button for the glow plugs since the timer went bad (I'm guessing).
    He installed NGK 11.5 V glow plugs.
    I read on this forum not to keep the glow plugs on more then 8 seconds or the NGK's tip will balloon.
    How many times, how much rest time in between and how long should I have the glow plugs on at 45 degrees?
    I go to work early in morning and would like to not have to crank the engine more then necessary.
    Thanks in Advance!

Array
    Status
    Port Angeles, WA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    I have the 12v plugs as well and usually leave them on for 10-15 seconds in the summer and more like 20-30 seconds in the winter. I've never had any problems with ballooned plug tips and I've cooked a number of plugs by forgetting to turn the switch off. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Array
    Status
    Moorpark CA.
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by Clouse View Post
    I have the 12v plugs as well and usually leave them on for 10-15 seconds in the summer and more like 20-30 seconds in the winter. I've never had any problems with ballooned plug tips and I've cooked a number of plugs by forgetting to turn the switch off. Maybe I've just been lucky.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Wow you've left them on, why not get a momentary switch so you don't forget? Do you hold it for 20-30 seconds one time or do it a couple times? And does it start up right away?

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    Holy crap Clouse, are you still running the factory 6v system on those 12v plugs? lol

i am also running ngk 11v plugs, can get you part number when i get home incase you ever need replacements. my d56 takes 5-6 seconds on cool mornings, in winter i am around 10-12 seconds, but plugging in the engine helps

Array
    Status
    Moorpark CA.
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by skullzaflare View Post
    Holy crap Clouse, are you still running the factory 6v system on those 12v plugs? lol

i am also running ngk 11v plugs, can get you part number when i get home incase you ever need replacements. my d56 takes 5-6 seconds on cool mornings, in winter i am around 10-12 seconds, but plugging in the engine helps
    I didn't think about plugging it in. I thought it was mostly for very cold weather but if it helps I'll plug it in. If its plugged in do you need to still need to run the glow plugs?

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by phillie View Post
    I didn't think about plugging it in. I thought it was mostly for very cold weather but if it helps I'll plug it in. If its plugged in do you need to still need to run the glow plugs?
    yup, below 50 arpund 5 seconds plugged in.
    even on 70s i have to use for a few seconds. my engine has 170k on it, so it could be condition related

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    My system has been bypassed so I only go for 5 seconds max. If it just turns slowly then I let it build some speed and then push for an additional 3 seconds. Usually then it would fire right up. However, I live in Texas now and it doesn't get cold enough to justify. Plus I just rebuilt my engine and the compression is so good that it fires right up.
    I had a timer power strip that I'd plug mine into. I'd only have the block heater run for about 2 hours before I went out to start it. I did that, to save power on my bill, and since the block is small it doesn't take very long to heat.
    Our old powerstroke required at least 5 hours of block heater in the cold months or else you'd just wear out your batter.

Array
    Status
    Moorpark CA.
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Spence View Post
    My system has been bypassed so I only go for 5 seconds max. If it just turns slowly then I let it build some speed and then push for an additional 3 seconds. Usually then it would fire right up. However, I live in Texas now and it doesn't get cold enough to justify. Plus I just rebuilt my engine and the compression is so good that it fires right up.
    I had a timer power strip that I'd plug mine into. I'd only have the block heater run for about 2 hours before I went out to start it. I did that, to save power on my bill, and since the block is small it doesn't take very long to heat.
    Our old powerstroke required at least 5 hours of block heater in the cold months or else you'd just wear out your batter.

Quote Originally Posted by skullzaflare View Post
    yup, below 50 arpund 5 seconds plugged in.
    even on 70s i have to use for a few seconds. my engine has 170k on it, so it could be condition related
    Thank you for your replies. I'll try plugging in my block heater and see if it helps with a quicker start in the morning.
    Currently I hold it for 10 seconds 2-3 times and it still has a hard start in 60 degree temp. It'll be trial and error.

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    Thank you for your replies. I'll try plugging in my block heater and see if it helps with a quicker start in the morning.
    Currently I hold it for 10 seconds 2-3 times and it still has a hard start in 60 degree temp. It'll be trial and error.
    Sounds like you might have some other issues, or the power isnt getting to them

Array
    Status
    KY
    Vehicle

1996 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D56-T
    4-5 seconds works for me hot or cold.

Array
    Status
    Moorpark CA.
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Thank you for all the input.
    At this point of time it takes 10-20 seconds to start.
    15-20 seconds in 50 degree weather.

I plugged in a digital Voltmeter to my cigarette lighter and found it sits at 12.1 V to 12.3 V overnight and drops to 11.1 V when engaging the glow plugs.
    The crank doesn't seem weak and charging volts goes up to 13.8 V.
    I'll be picking up a battery soon. Once I replace the battery I'm sure my glow plug engagement time will be less.

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    Thank you for all the input.
    At this point of time it takes 10-20 seconds to start.
    15-20 seconds in 50 degree weather.

I plugged in a digital Voltmeter to my cigarette lighter and found it sits at 12.1 V to 12.3 V overnight and drops to 11.1 V when engaging the glow plugs.
    The crank doesn't seem weak and charging volts goes up to 13.8 V.
    I'll be picking up a battery soon. Once I replace the battery I'm sure my glow plug engagement time will be less.
    that does sound a little weak, if i remember right, my battery is around 12.7ish overnight, but i think i drop to around 11.5-11.7 with glow plugs on
    Granted my battery is an optima from 2008, i should probably replace it soon