Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: wiring up a boat trailer issue

  1. #1

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-19-2016
    Posts
    181
    Location

    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

    1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    G54B

    Question wiring up a boat trailer issue

    ok guys here i am again with another problem i have a 1988 dodge ram 50 sport 2.6l auto trans.
    when i installed the standard wiring harness Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A1VG_1_20130611144765769.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	18722
    here is the problem no brake lights!
    right turn ok left turn ok tail lights ok
    no brake lights so i crawl under the truck and trace down which is the brake light wire hook it up to the right/left turn signals wires and i get both brake lights /turn signal lights on at the same time when i turn on the right signal the brake light and the signal light flash. same thing for the left.
    now i have the single plug on the wiring harness coming from the truck to the back of the truck for example if i was going to pull the bed off all i have to do is unplug one plug and i,m done with the electrical .
    so my question is do i need to run separate lights for the brake lights on the trailer?
    or is there a plug adapter for the single plug setup?

  2. #2



    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-20-2011
    Posts
    4,050
    Location

    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

    1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    G54B
    you need a 3 wire to 2 wire converter for the lights - it takes the turn and brake lights and converts it to the standard 2 wire system on most trailers. No plug ins for us - hardwire it in.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

  3. #3

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-19-2016
    Posts
    181
    Location

    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

    1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    you need a 3 wire to 2 wire converter for the lights - it takes the turn and brake lights and converts it to the standard 2 wire system on most trailers. No plug ins for us - hardwire it in.
    something like this?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CURT-Wiring-...-/391555628924

  4. #4



    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-20-2011
    Posts
    4,050
    Location

    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

    1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    G54B
    exactly like that
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

  5. #5

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-19-2016
    Posts
    181
    Location

    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

    1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    exactly like that
    ok thanks for the help guys

  6. #6



    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    07-24-2012
    Posts
    2,344
    Location

    Washington State
    Vehicle

    1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

    G63B
    You may find that your trailer brake lights are dimmer then normal. Double check to be sure they are coming on as bright as they should. One other issue may be your alternator. Your adding more usage of vehicle electricity output and if your running a stock alternator with maybe 45 amps, it may drop your night time lighting and strain your system causing older alternators to give up. Running LED probably could fix this, but to replace an entire system with LED can get pricey and require a possible transformer to power them correctly.If you don't have a high amperage alternator, it may be a good idea to install one so you have sufficient electrical power, especially at stop lights when it really puts a strain on the system with extra lights being lit up. Bright lights also include more strain.

  7. #7

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-19-2016
    Posts
    181
    Location

    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

    1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    You may find that your trailer brake lights are dimmer then normal. Double check to be sure they are coming on as bright as they should. One other issue may be your alternator. Your adding more usage of vehicle electricity output and if your running a stock alternator with maybe 45 amps, it may drop your night time lighting and strain your system causing older alternators to give up. Running LED probably could fix this, but to replace an entire system with LED can get pricey and require a possible transformer to power them correctly.If you don't have a high amperage alternator, it may be a good idea to install one so you have sufficient electrical power, especially at stop lights when it really puts a strain on the system with extra lights being lit up. Bright lights also include more strain.
    thank you sir for the info i,ll be on the look out for those issues if and when the happen and now i,ll know what to do for it

  8. #8

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-19-2016
    Posts
    181
    Location

    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

    1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    G54B
    well got the wiring hooked up toady everything works fine thanks for the info and help pennyman1/bradmph

  9. #9

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    03-19-2016
    Posts
    181
    Location

    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

    1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

    G54B
    now i just need to learn to type lol *toady = today*

  10. #10

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    06-01-2016
    Posts
    37
    Location

    Grand Forks BC
    Vehicle

    1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

    I.D.K.?
    Hello I clicked on the ebay link and punched in 1985 Dodge d50 power ram royal, 2.6 engine and it says it's not compatible. I need to wire my p/u and want to get the right thing.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CURT-Wiring-...-/391555628924


    is this the right one even though they say it's not?

  11. #11

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    06-15-2014
    Posts
    2,111
    Location

    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

    1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

    G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by rranger View Post
    Hello I clicked on the ebay link and punched in 1985 Dodge d50 power ram royal, 2.6 engine and it says it's not compatible. I need to wire my p/u and want to get the right thing.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/CURT-Wiring-56175-Universal-Non-Powered-3-Wire-to-2-Wire-Taillight-Converter-/391555628924

    is this the right one even though they say it's not?

    This is a generic universal kit - they would need a massive list to cover every vehicle (would've been smarter if they listed manufacturers instead of specific vehicles). It should do the job

  12. #12

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    06-01-2016
    Posts
    37
    Location

    Grand Forks BC
    Vehicle

    1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

    I.D.K.?
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    This is a generic universal kit - they would need a massive list to cover every vehicle (would've been smarter if they listed manufacturers instead of specific vehicles). It should do the job




    Thanks Geezer then this should work.

    https://www.walmart.com/ip/16782554?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid= 22222222227010008784&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=57996495 048&wl4=aud-273067696062:pla-81975655728&wl5=9040801&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl1 0=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=16782554&wl13=&veh=sem

  13. #13

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    06-01-2016
    Posts
    37
    Location

    Grand Forks BC
    Vehicle

    1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

    I.D.K.?
    Geezer my bad on the link.


    https://www.walmart.com/ip/16782554?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid= 22222222227010008784&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=57996495 048&wl4=aud-273067696062:pla-81975655728&wl5=9040801&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl1 0=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=16782554&wl13=&veh=sem

  14. #14

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    06-15-2014
    Posts
    2,111
    Location

    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

    1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

    G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by rranger View Post
    Geezer my bad on the link.


    https://www.walmart.com/ip/16782554?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid= 22222222227010008784&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=57996495 048&wl4=aud-273067696062:pla-81975655728&wl5=9040801&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl1 0=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=16782554&wl13=&veh=sem
    I got 'no tie elastic shoelaces (InfraRed) for a first search so I chopped the link down - https://www.walmart.com/ip/16782554

    Read the product reviews on Walmarts site - not great... it will make a difference on how it is installed so it's subjective I guess. Someone could install it with a steak knife and scotch tape and complain it doesn't work

  15. #15

    Array
    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    06-01-2016
    Posts
    37
    Location

    Grand Forks BC
    Vehicle

    1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

    I.D.K.?
    Sorry about the links. Copy and paste is not working lol. Got the part today see how installation goes tomorrow.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •