I type my post and it goes mia.

Array
    Status
    Alberta canada
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Pajero
    Engine

4D56-T
    Trying to get a confirmation the 15degree nozzles are for the "d" shaped pre-comb cups, and the 0 degree for the rectangle. The clean ones is a ford ranger head with the casting imperfections and the slightly smaller injector body.

Also, can someone confirm this isn't the larger '83 injector but just a difference in the mitsubishi and ford? it's a 22mm socket fit where as the ford is a 21mm. Nozzle dimensions are the same. the larger '83 has a bigger nozzle size, right? if I recall correctly my 1990 4d56 used the 22mm socket

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Can confirm that's not an 83 injector, they are noticeably larger and are not interchangeable with the later model injectors. I don't know about the nozzle sizes between 83 and later, but I believe the injectors out of a Ford 4D55 are interchangeable with those out of other applications. The external differences may just be due to different model years
    The 4D55 was available in the Dodge/Mitsubishi trucks from 83-85, but Ford didn't get the 4D55 until 86. Have not compared the Ford injectors to the ones in my 4D56, so I don't know if there is any difference there.

Array
    Status
    Alberta canada
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Pajero
    Engine

4D56-T
    o.k. thanks. Yeah, Ford had it '85 to '87. Dodge till '85. Ford was slow on the draw . There was a switch to the rectangular pre-combustion cups that took place somewhere along the way which I believe corresponds to the switch to 0 degree spec nozzle spray pattern. Hoping to confirm.

There might be some interchangeability issues with injector height differences as you see above and hard lines. And the question of nozzle spec. tho I can confirm the 15 degree injectors do fire a rectangular pre cup head nicely. Idis are so forgiving.

My '90 mitsubishi 4d56 called for 0 degree injectors. Hope to confirm the shape of the cup shortly.

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Can you please define "0 degree spec nozzle?" I have only ever seen one specification for the IDI injectors for these motors.
    On another note, I wonder if the differences in precombustion chambers corresponds to a difference in the valve styles? Does that Ford head have valves that sit flush to the head, or that protrude slightly from it? I don't recall when Mitsubishi made the switch. Then again it may just be a change that they slipped in when it was convenient.

Array
    Status
    Alberta canada
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Pajero
    Engine

4D56-T
    Sure can. First tho, have a read here: https://www.manilatimes.net/2016/07/...4UQlY-ORb7k4NY

The spray angle of your injector nozzles differ. The "0" in "NP-DN0PDN112" corresponds to the spray angle. That is the nozzle angle that I believe corresponded to the ford and '90 4d56 rectangular pre cup I have. These motors evolved over time and as you mention there are recessed valve, flush valve, but also oval (d shape?) and square pre-cups. you'll find 0, 10, and 15 degree nozzles all in application to the 4d56 if you search the interwebs.
    A diesel shop sold a friend with a fordubishi 4d55 np-dn15pd6 Denso or some brand nozzles for his zexel pump. I was curious right off the bat why it was a Denso injector nozzle number on the bill sheet. He had brought them a spare pump to rebuild and if it was from another application they could have pulled a nozzle specification for that pump build from a database such as this: https://fuel-inject.com/injection/ze...ch.9460610423/
    And cross referenced with Denso or something else.
    And told him those are the correct nozzles.
    But they may not be, even tho the engine starts and runs "good". But for how long? The wide spray in a narrow precup would concentrate more heat in the pre chamber. More bad because he didn't put the nozzle tip seals in when he installed them. And, they may be nozzles of uncertain quality.
    I'm trying to get him sorted out as I do the same for me.
    Hope this brings you a bit further along.
    If you put your pump zexel number in a search engine, you'll find some info at fuel-inject.com. It's pretty amazing. Still have the old ram pump:?

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    So that article tells me that there are differences between the 4D56 and 4M40 injectors, but I don't see a major different spec between 4D56 injectors. Those part numbers follow different formats, so I am hesitant to say that the "0" in one corresponds to the same thing as the "15" in the other, though it does appear that the ND-DN15PD6 part number corresponds to a 4D65 engine, not the 4D55/56. So it seems to fall under the general category of just get the correct parts for your engine? Denso makes nozzles for these motors, so there's nothing inherently wrong with that. IIRC then one of us (me or my dad) rebuild a set of these injectors using the Denso nozzles.
    If it was an injector for the wrong engine then that's another story, but then there is the matter of these low pressure pintle-type injectors and how limited manufacturers are with their design. These things are not like high pressure direct injectors like in Cummins or Cat; they are very simple, very low pressure design, not to mention they just screw in to the head, so there is no way to index them for different spray angles.
    Although I suppose that may be a misunderstanding on my part. Are you saying that these nozzles have different spray angles relative to the injector body, or are you saying that these nozzles have different angles of spray pattern?