Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

No Power to Dashboard Lights and Wont Start Up

I checked the battery with a multimeter and the battery came out good. Checked the fuses and they are all good. Checked the battery nipples, terminals for corrosion and they are both squeaky clean. I then cleaned and checked the ground cable, bolts, frame, etc... Still the dashboard lights wont come on and when I turn the key to start the truck, NOTHING! Although the dashboard lights don't come on when I turn the key, the hazard lights work and show up blinking on the dashboard, headlights, taillights, and buzzer also work. I'm guessing whatever is causing the dashboard lights to not work is also negating the truck from starting up. Anyone know what may be the problem?

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Check the fusible links that are in a gray/black box on the driver side inner fender well towards the firewall. If one of them is burnt out it could be the cause of your issue.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    +2 on the links - wasn't sure where they were on a 2nd gen.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    The truck is strangely working like nothing happened. I guess it just felt like taking a day off. Corny joke aside, I honestly don't know why it is working now? I waited a couple days before posting here to make sure the truck is still working and it is. I'm clueless as to what happened, but she's working again and I'm happy. Thanks guys for the responses.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    your ignition switch may be going bad, or weak tabs for the fuses in the fuse block.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Don't think it will not do it again, because it probably will. If it is just the dash lights, also check the dash light switch as well. Make sure it is as bright as it can be by turning the knob. Keep us up to date.
    If hazards work and nothing else, it is a issue with key not triggering the the key on power. Your always on circuit works if hazard works. I had a similar problem when a trailer plug was added and it found a place to ground out or not ground out and cause a very similar problem. So you have a wire somewhere or ignition is worn like PM mentioned. It will rear it's head again.

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B

Fusible Links

Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    Don't think it will not do it again, because it probably will. If it is just the dash lights, also check the dash light switch as well. Make sure it is as bright as it can be by turning the knob. Keep us up to date.
    If hazards work and nothing else, it is a issue with key not triggering the the key on power. Your always on circuit works if hazard works. I had a similar problem when a trailer plug was added and it found a place to ground out or not ground out and cause a very similar problem. So you have a wire somewhere or ignition is worn like PM mentioned. It will rear it's head again.
    Update: It did it again. This time I checked the fusible links which is located right above the battery.
    20170705_201317.jpg
    20170705_201427.jpg
    20170705_201600.jpg
    I also checked the ignition switch with a multimeter, working as it should. Cleaned up the fusible link terminal, made sure I put it back as far in as it would go and so far everything is running smooth.

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Awesome, glad you located the issue. I hate electrical with a passion and is not my happy place for sure. Hope your luck continues and thanks for letting us know your repairs and outcome.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Electrical in these early trucks are not bad if someone hasn't hacked them to hell and back. Unfortunately, most trucks have harnesses that look like people went in there with a machete and had fun.
    Pennyman1