Thread: Rebuild with Mods Vs. 4G63T Swap (81 Arrow)

Array
    Status
    Concord NC
    Vehicle

1981 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

G54B

Rebuild with Mods Vs. 4G63T Swap (81 Arrow)

Well... as some of you may or may not know my 81 Arrow had a head Gasket Failure (I don't think head is cracked) on the stock 4G54.
    I was doing research on what route I wanted to go and was deciding between a rebuild with Schneider cam, DG Headers and possible side draft carb set up from a CBR900 RR Vs. a swap. I have a local guy that will be doing the work and he even gave me a quote to drop a 302 in there but I decided against this due to cost. (Again - I'm not doing the work)

I think I may just go 4G63T based on the relative ease of installation along with keeping it in the Mitsubishi family of motors. I'm concerned I'm going to spend a bunch of cash rebuilding the 4G54 for better pep and driveability but in the long run will wish I had gone for a little more power and "fun" factor of the Turbo setup.

Anyone one want to chime in with thoughts, advice, etc?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The Starquest engine will be the best bet as they are both 4G54 engines and are configured for RWD. Remember the 4G63T will be a narrow block unless you have found one off an auto trans. You will need to mess with wiring and fuel pumps etc but if you can find a complete wreck, it will take out the guess work.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    wouldn't call the dsm/rwd swap "with ease". It ain't no "drop in - plug n play" kinda party
    starion 2.6 with 5speed you'll have to convert to hydraulic clutch if yours is cable. 2.6 can b a beast
    u can find 2.6 or dsm powered arrows online

Array
    Status
    Concord NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    I have a 6 bolt narrow block as my Arrow is Automatic. I have a lead on a Starion a couple hours away... so that is also an option.
    I'm completely torn on what I want to do and what direction I want to go. I am still thinking about selling the truck as it sits and moving on to other projects. In the meantime, I think I'm driving myself mad with what direction to go. (too much down time between Customers to keep me busy looking at options and builds)

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    success of a project fueled by passion. If u ain't feelin it, walk away

narrow block auto tranny mated to a boosted dsm 6 bolt sounds cool 2 me
    tranny refresh/upgrades, plus a taller ratio/stronger diff

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    I think your truck came with Aisin Waner AW-71 automatic transmission and they have a interchangeable bell housing. The bell housing found on the AW-72 found in the 1st gen Montero with a 6G72 swaps onto the AW-71. I've got this setup sitting in the back on truck because I was thinking of a V6 swap. You will just need the flex plate from a 6G72 because the torque converters are the same.

Anyway, Salvage Auto Supply in Charlotte has a clearance sale on a SOHC 6G72 for $65 with 142K and DOHC 6G72 for $275 with 159K. So consider a V6 swap.

Array
    Status
    Concord NC
    Vehicle

Engine

G54B
    I did consider a V6 swap but not sure how involved that it. Later model max's came with the same V6's?

Array
    Status
    North Carolina
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    The later Max's came with same engine as the 1st gen V6 Montero. The V6 would be an easier swap in my opinion because all the parts are plug and play from research, no need to fabricate a intake manifold or coolant pipes. The motor mounts would come from a 99-03 Montero Sport. For the DOHC 6G72 all the coolant tubes and intake manifold can be used from a Kia Sorento because it uses the same DOHC 6G motor found in the Montero RS and is easier to find.