Array
    Status
    mass.
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Steering

If finding an after market steering stablizer on line. Is this good for a 2wd truck. I have seen them on larger 4wd rigs. Is this recommended and / or what are the benefits ?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I think the general opinion is fitting a rear stabiliser to these trucks is the go. It will help control weight shift to the front end by preventing the rear from twisting around as much. A decent set of wider wheels, lower profile tires and new nylon bushes all round will be the icing on the cake. If you want anything better than that you'll need to buy adjustable shocks and uprated springs.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    A front steering stabilizer is the ticket if you are running larger/heavier than stock tires and wheels. It will work on a stock equipped truck as well, not really needed. It will reduce the beating the front end takes driving - I had one on my 85 Ram 50 Royal that was lifted 3" with lift coils - it made a world of difference.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ^when you say 'steering stabiliser' is it the same as a 'steering dampener'? Like a horizontally mounted shock absorber?

Array
    Status
    mass.
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    yes it is

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    bingo

Array
    Status
    west valley, silicon valley, bay area, ca
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    This is the part you seek, MOOG Steering Stabilizers

Best price is; RockAuto

I knew daredevils and I ain't got nothin' against them, ........it's just they're all dead.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Bump on this, I would like to know about how to fit the above kit? I saw one mentioned but with slightly different brackets in the old john baker catalogue but it said it required drilling

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I was thinking I could use something similar to this part from a Toyota to eliminate some of the butchery and simplify the install - https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Toyota-...5.c10#viTabs_0

I know this one will cause loss of full steering lock but there has to be something close in design that will do the job.

Or something that looks like this kit which appears to be better in quality - http://www.roughcountry.com/steering...zer-87387.html
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    I see that moog kit is also for old toyota hilux's so theres probably some half decent parts about (old man emu maybe?) my main question is where does the other bracket bolt to?
    If i can use for example, the steering idler mointing bolts for a bracket i would be set

Drilling holes or welding chassis's is generally frowned upon here

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The end bracket might line up with the idler arm mounting bolts (was my though but without measurements or actually seeing it, it's only a guess) - or make your own end bracket and set up all the alignments yourself. I looked at the rough country kit and it just looks like a better quality kit than the Moog (the price reflects it too but it's only like an extra $10 USD). Add a mud/dust boot to it to protect the shaft and it'll last for ages. I thought about this for a 2WD application as I am considering going up to 17x8" wheels and the damper will soak up bump steer and smooth out the steering feel in general (and it's a cool idea that I haven't seen applied to one of these trucks yet + relatively cheap and easy to install)

*click on the link and read the reviews. Seems like a great bit of kit for the intended applications but there's lowered and raised trucks in there and a review with one that was installed on a truck with 20" wheels.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the L shaped bracket bolts to the crossmember - you have to drill 2 holes to mount it. It should not affect the turning radius of the truck if it is installed properly.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    Might have a word with my local certifier. Paying for another cert may be a bit extreme for 2 new holes, otherwise i might get away with some brackets

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    the L shaped bracket bolts to the crossmember - you have to drill 2 holes to mount it. It should not affect the turning radius of the truck if it is installed properly.
    I was thinking with the rough country kit, all it might take is swapping the end where the shock bolts through the mounting bracket by flipping it 180 degrees and just drilling the holes through the mounting plate to match the idler arm bolt holes. 5 minute job

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ..and I am not a fan of the crummy looking shock end mounting clamp that goes on the centre drag link so I thought maybe -

https://www.ebay.com/itm/7-8-22mm-Mo...5.c10#viTabs_0

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    ^nup, won't work. It needs to be able to pivot a few degrees at either end of travel. Would've been perfect for a parallel aligned set up.