Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

battery cables

I have a new (newish its 3 or 4 years old) positive cable and the OE neg. The neg cable gets rather warm when I am cranking it over especially after its been sitting so long the gas drains out of the lines.
    I see no problem in the line the connections are tight. It connects at the base of the battery box and again at the frame below that.
    Any ideas what is causing this? The Pos cable is on a clamp style battery clamp its not one piece like some so it gets loose I have to watch it.

On another note what are the two wires that attach to the pos cable at the terminal and won't let the motor run if they are not connected?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the ground wire goes to 4 points, the battery, battery tray, the frame, and the block. All points must be clean to make a low resistance connection. A loose positive will also cause the cables to get hot due to trying to draw large amounts of current through a bad connection. The 2 wires off the positive cable supplies all the power that runs the truck - the heavy cable only goes to the starter. Also add the jumper from the last exhaust stud on the head to the firewall - it is a backup for the cab to engine and ground.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thank You. There might be another wire grounding the block but I haven't seen it. I'll look into that. found battery cable on RA
    Last edited by 85Ram50; 03-14-2017 at 04:41 PM.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    That could be part of the issue if that frame to block cable is missing. The motor will ground through the transmission and damage the tranny if that cable is broke or missing.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980