Array
    Status
    Estacada Oregon
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

Tc05 turbos?

Any 4d55 turbo gurus in here? I want to replace mine as I have replaced the motor and rebuilt the pump and Injectors....

Tc05-10a 49168-01202 is the numbers. The shop who did the pump said they could probably piece it up. I have seen the 49177-01500(for the 4d55 in the ranger) but don't know if it will bolt right on without also swapping manifolds or not. Any clues? Or a good bolt-in source for tc05 turbos?

Array
    Status
    Estacada Oregon
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I found a 49178-00500, which is a td05-10a for reasonable amount and has the right hookups. Says it was used on 4d56q marine applications? Figure it may be worth a shot ...

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    If you want to stay stock the TC05 is capable of moving more air than the TD04, which is the other factory option we got on these motors, but it is an obsolete design. It uses a single shaft bearing instead of two like the newer TD turbos use. I called around to a few turbo shops at one point and any rebuild would basically involve converting it to the new style, at which point it would be much cheaper to modify a different turbo to fit. The TD04 is smaller, but more responsive than the TC05, but the TC05 moves more air and is the better option if you are going to tune the pump for more fuel flow or do a lot of highway/interstate running. Either way, as the ranger turbo should bolt up fine, those used the same 3-bolt flange as we have.

Array
    Status
    Estacada Oregon
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I found a 49178-00500, which is a td05-10a for reasonable amount and has the right hookups. Says it was used on 4d56q marine applications? Figure it may be worth a shot ...

Array
    Status
    Estacada Oregon
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Forgive the double post...

Yeah the converting thing is what's hanging me up. The ranger and most others have a wastegate, which means acquiring and engineering a wastegate actuator setup.

I don't know anything about those. I'm looking for whatever requires the least amount of engineering tbh...

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    You might be able to find the intake manifold that goes with the TD04 somewhere online. The wastegate mounted on a boss on the intake manifold, if you've got that and a factory wastegate then you should have no problem with that. The TD04 was available for a lot longer than the TC05, so that should make it easier to find one if you decide to go that route

Array
    Status
    Estacada Oregon
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Well, I was feeling froggy and decided to give the aforementioned td05-10a (https://www.amazon.com/Abcturbo-Turb.../dp/B07JX89LQF) a shot. For $265 I'm willing to give it a go. I'll have to reclock it. But it's got the same bolt patterns in and out, and no wastegate. And it's got CHRAs available for it if need be.

Between my block and head coming from AliExpress(not kidding) and my turbo from Amazon, this 4d56 in a Mazda is one weird beast ...

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Balcorn80 View Post
    Well, I was feeling froggy and decided to give the aforementioned td05-10a (https://www.amazon.com/Abcturbo-Turb.../dp/B07JX89LQF) a shot. For $265 I'm willing to give it a go. I'll have to reclock it. But it's got the same bolt patterns in and out, and no wastegate. And it's got CHRAs available for it if need be.

Between my block and head coming from AliExpress(not kidding) and my turbo from Amazon, this 4d56 in a Mazda is one weird beast ...
    Please post photos sometime, ok..! Sounds like a neat project..!

Array
    Status
    Estacada Oregon
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Quote Originally Posted by xboxrox View Post
    Please post photos sometime, ok..! Sounds like a neat project..!
    https://www.oilburners.net/threads/m...dabishi.84990/

Here's my build thread BEFORE I put the AliEx 4d56 in. I'll update this post with pics when my turbo gets in next week.

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    wrenching city

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Oh damn. You went and made your own adapter! It's a helpful reference for anyone who is considering going TD on a B2600 and looking for the easy way in. It still looked like a lot of thought went in to the engine install. You got it fired up pretty quickly too. Shame the engine didn't hold out though...
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Estacada Oregon
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Yeah I "made" an adapter. Lol
    If I did it again I'd use the whole 87-88 transmission instead. Or maybe tear down and rebuild the transmission and have the input shaft turned down and shortened 15mm. I mean... The adapter is holding up and I don't doubt it's fine. Having had the motor out I have been able to inspect the clutch and bearings and see no funkiness. But still. If I did it over again I'd do it in a manner that didn't require an adapter. Or spacer rather. But I WOULD do it again. For the record.

It was a pretty quick and painless swap, and I appreciate you noticing my "thinking it out". I had the advantage of having seen another write-up on a guy who did a similar swap(he used the tear down down the tranny and then down the input shaft method). And also spoke to another guy online in Canada who has 3 of these swaps on his wheat farm. All encouraging and helpful.

Array
    Status
    Estacada Oregon
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    And as far as the motor not holding up... When I bought the d50 it had 220k on it. I bought sight unseen for $90p and figured I'd be rebuilding the motor. I replaced the dead 6volt glowplugs(running off a hotwired solenoid feeding them 12v) and it fired up. I should have done compression and blowby test before install. If have rebuilt it first, saving myself the pain of pulling it and replacing later. Live and learn .

10k miles was good enough proof of concept for me to justify a new motor though.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    You gotta start somewhere. In it's initial guise, it has shown potential.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Estacada Oregon
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Can't figure out how to upload pics.
    Got the old turbo off, had to take the cartridge and snail off the hot side, due to stubborn bolts. Got the new turbo reclocked and bolted up. But the threads in the turbo for the exhaust flange are coarse thread and the studs removed from the old turbo are fine thread. Trip to Ace in the morning should get it sorted out.

Array
    Status
    Estacada Oregon
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

Array
    Status
    Estacada Oregon
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Well, new turbo in and it's good. At least better than the tc05-10a I pulled out. Once I re-clocked the housings it bolted right up.

Again, this is a TD05-10A, with an open Mitsubishi part number of 49178-00550

I got mine from eBay seller abcturbo who also goes by raceturbo on eBay.

It starts pulling sooner than the old one, and pulls harder overall. Which is good. Because it's brand new.

Array
    Status
    Estacada Oregon
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Had it out on the highway for a service call today(65 mile round trip, up some pretty solid grades. It is for sure an improvement over the old tc05. I do not know what a new tc05 would be like. But I do say that if you are looking for a replacement for a tc05-10a nkn-wastegate, this one will do.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Nice. The biggest gripe about the stock turbo is it runs out of 'puff' pretty quickly, so a decent turbo upgrade seems to get the best out of the diesel 4D55. I'm sure anyone on the lookout for a new turbo, this will steer them in the right direction.

Array
    Status
    Estacada Oregon
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I I was made of time and money I'd like to play around with other choices. But I'm not. And this is my daily...

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    We ALL would You've fixed the issue on a budget, made some usable power and it's running well - I'd call it an all round win