Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Part identification question, 4d55 (picture)

Array
    Status
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Yeah, I was definitely going to do something about where the lines hit. I am tempted to reroute them if I can figure out how.. the engine bolts up to the original mounts first of all, and second of all there is ZERO room up front either. It is pretty well shoehorned in. I will have to look into how best to re-rout them. I am already devising a mad plan to place the radiator in the trunk with some kind of air scoop, because there is already no room for that. Well nobody said it would be easy, probably because nobody has done it before (probably) haha.

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    what year is this truck? my 89 with a 2.0 i swapped my d56 in has a lot of room, bolted up to the stock mounts too

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSloth View Post
    I am already devising a mad plan to place the radiator in the trunk with some kind of air scoop, because there is already no room for that.
    Electric thermo fan time (jeez I don't say it often ) Front mount it to the radiator, buy yourself some precious engine bay room and solve some cooling issues in the process.

Skullzaflare the engine has been fitted to a '71 Colt hardtop thus the lack of engine bay space -
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...t-turbo-diesel

Array
    Status
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    So I may possibly try to talk to an acquaintance of mine and see how much he would charge to make a custom radiator... I am not sure I want to shell out for that though haha. We shall see!

Still trying to find that plug for the front, just above the balance shaft. I ordered an M18 plug when 16 was too small. It was still too small, and my tiny town doesn't have anything larger than 14mm in stock anywhere.. pretty lame. So I have a 19 and 20 on the way. I will probably have to shave it down to get on there around that belt. As you can see from the first post on this thread, it is pretty tight.

If anyone has some pictures of the water pump and specifically the inlet and outlet to the radiator, I would be very appreciative! Still yet to find someone in town with one that I can stare at at length for inspiration haha. I got the starter and alternator finally and have them on there. Took me a stupidly long time to realize the alternator went on the passenger side not the drivers side xD

Interestingly enough, that 90 degree bent tube I posted wondering where it went earlier in this thread lines up EXACTLY under the heater core line in the colt! Pretty awesome. Small victories.

Array
    Status
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    So, probably gonna be time for a new thread soon? Dunno whether to keep posting here and not clutter things up..

Anyway. After waiting altogether too long for this thing to show up from Cyprus it appears that a 4d56 thermostat housing is not the same as a 4d55 thermostat housing.

Anyone happen to have an extra for a 4d55 I could buy? Or should I consider getting a 4d56 water pump and keep this? This has been quite an exercise in parts hunting.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    So the 4D56 thermostat housing is smaller than the 55? I'm willing to bet good money (or in this case short change) that the 4D55 thermostat housing is the same size as the regular gas MM. Thermostat listings appear to be the same - get a housing gasket to compare it against yours.

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quite a few of the components for the gas engines are interchangeable with the diesel. The main bearings are the same between the 2.6 and the 4D55. I haven't tried, but they may very well be the same thermo housing.

Array
    Status
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I will have to look into that.

I suppose there is a possibility that the seller got it wrong too, but it seemed like a legit listing.

I think I have a thermo gasket in my gasket set somewhere, so I will check this weekend. Sorry for the slow pace in the Colt thread, work+finals week=no free time

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSloth View Post
    So, probably gonna be time for a new thread soon? Dunno whether to keep posting here and not clutter things up..

Anyway. After waiting altogether too long for this thing to show up from Cyprus it appears that a 4d56 thermostat housing is not the same as a 4d55 thermostat housing.

Anyone happen to have an extra for a 4d55 I could buy? Or should I consider getting a 4d56 water pump and keep this? This has been quite an exercise in parts hunting.
    That is the "water outlet" where the thermostat goes, the piece you bought bolts at the top of the engine by the injection pump. (im interested if you wanna sell it lol)
    d55 and d56 water outlet (thermostat on waterpump) are the same
    Quote Originally Posted by dancinggecko View Post
    Quite a few of the components for the gas engines are interchangeable with the diesel. The main bearings are the same between the 2.6 and the 4D55. I haven't tried, but they may very well be the same thermo housing.
    I could be wrong, but i recall reading the mains were bigger, i know the g54 is 60mm, but i think the d55 is 66mm

G54 thermo housing MIGHT have same bolt pattern, however g54 thermo housing turns almost 90 off intake. The d55 is straight off the water pump

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    it depends on the year of 2.6 which size the main bearings are - they had 60 or 66 mm
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I must admit I am a bit confused by your reply. So the piece I have has nothing to do with the water pump outlet and thermo housing( on any engine?) I can't find where this might go on the other side near the injector pump, is that just for 4d56?

I'd trade for the piece I need if you have an extra xD

Quote Originally Posted by skullzaflare View Post
    That is the "water outlet" where the thermostat goes, the piece you bought bolts at the top of the engine by the injection pump. (im interested if you wanna sell it lol)
    d55 and d56 water outlet (thermostat on waterpump) are the same

I could be wrong, but i recall reading the mains were bigger, i know the g54 is 60mm, but i think the d55 is 66mm

G54 thermo housing MIGHT have same bolt pattern, however g54 thermo housing turns almost 90 off intake. The d55 is straight off the water pump

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    that is the piece your top radiator hose connects to. Unfortunately i only have one water outlet for my waterpump

I think the part you are looking for is MD152090

Array
    Status
    Estacada Oregon
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    How dead is this thread? It looks like the OP pieced together a block and head? Where from?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12