Array
    Status
    Grand Forks BC
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Tranny wiring.

Could use a little help. I hav a 1985, 2.6 gas, 5 speed, 4 wheel drive. Swapped transmission and need to wire up the tranny for 4 wheel drive indicator light and backup lights.
    First pick is the four wires coming from the front end. Yellow/red, black/red stripe, and two reds with blue stripe. Here's pic of it.

Second pic pic is of 2 sending units on transfer case.
    Looks like red with blue stripe and a red wire on the left sending unit and a plain red on the one on the right. The one on the right also looks like a wire broke of and should have two wires on it .

Does anyone have a picture of the wiring for this and is there is there also a sending unit a little further forward from these two. It looks like a wire might have broke off one there to.
    Or is there only two sending units on the tranny and transfer case.
    A pic of the proper wiring would be great. Thanks.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Grand Forks BC
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Here's pics of sending units.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    You will probably have to use a combination of the Wiring Diagrams and the Transmission Manual to figure them out. the switches "should be" connectorized but alas....
    In the Transmission Manual use the Search function on the word "Switch" there are test procedures for the backup/lock/Hi-low switches with pix of locations and wire colors.

http://mmeierle.com/mighty%20max%20info.htm

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Check our manual section when your done looking at Mike's truck page for wiring specs. If you don't find a manual.
    If you don't find what you need there, CHeck our forum manuals. There is every kind you can think of on the link.

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...er-Source-Info

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The bulky looking sender unit should be the reversing switch (it has 2 wires soldered to the back of it). Easy way to test that with a multi meter - do a continuity test with it out of reverse (dead circuit) and with it in reverse (complete circuit).

Array
    Status
    Grand Forks BC
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Well I soldered a wire on the one sending unit hooked yellow red and black red to the bigger sender and the two red blues to the smaller sender and the 4 wheel drive indicator is lit up for Lo and hi and goes out for 2 wheel with no change in the indicator for low or hi 4 wheel it probably doesn't change. . But the backup light is on all the time. I have to check tomorrow on the one smaller sender and see if the little ball is in it and then go from there.

Array
    Status
    Grand Forks BC
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Thanks for the assistance. This is a helluva site. Very very helpful.

Array
    Status
    Grand Forks BC
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Well a little more work on this and have it figured buuuuuut, still a problem. Had to take the second sending unit off and chip the epoxy off the top and solder on two wires because it was not working. The old wires were ready to fall off. That got that working and it did a great job of shutting off the backup lights hand operated. However installed it still didn't shut off the backup lights. Its not closing enough to shutoff the power. So going to try taking off the washer and if that doesn't work a little solder on the end of the plunger to make it a hair longer. And if that doesn't work put a switch on at the shifter under the rubber boot. If your wondering i bought the vehicle in the States and have to get it inspected to drive it here and this stuff has to be done. I also have to rig up permanent daytime headlights, but thats another story.

Array
    Status
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    The Backup Switch should have the ball bearing. I had the same problem after a re-build of my tranny, the guy left it out.

Array
    Status
    Grand Forks BC
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Well got it working. FYI their are three sensors. 2 on the transfer case for the four wheel drive dash indicator hi and lo light and a seperate one for the back up light on the transmission itself. On mine the wiring was red swire and red with blue striping wire to the backup sensor. And yellow with a red stripe to one four wheel drive sensor and Black with a red stripe to the other four wheel drive sensor then cross wire the two sensors. All three sensors had ball bearings.

Array
    Status
    Grand Forks BC
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Disregard post 8 it was not the problem.