Thread: Front deck speakers?

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    And now something that is just plain weird - no AM, no speaker outputs, no RCA's (it says it does in the description, but I ain't seeing them on the back image) - nada. And stupid cheap...
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Stereo-....c100005.m1851
    Last edited by geezer101; 05-27-2018 at 03:40 AM.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Well I turned it off and back on and the station I saved was still there as were the settings. I connected the memory wire and power wire then used the old wire I had for power on the last unit. So if there is power there is memory. There will be a picture of the fuse block cover at the end of this post. Bottom right would be the top left I soldered to. I honestly do not comprehend what some of those terms mean.
    Thanks for looking up those units. I had a solution for hanging the deck in my dream last night but that is all I can remember This one has a CD player. I don't care about the USB or the jack to plug I guess an MP3 in. Aren't those things out of fashion now? I still play cd's and cassette tapes or just listen to the radio. I might go out for a drive and test the Metallica on it. I have high expectations.
    I was looking for door cards and found the solution you and a couple other guys came up with. I'm glad I did not throw out the old ones! Will any fastener store know what I mean by Scrivets?

Argh! EDIT- There has been a glitch. The CD player is not working properly. It started on teh first track of Metallica then cut out after a minute. I ejected and reinserted. Same thing. I tried another CD same thing. I figured it might be vibration. Then when parked I tried a third CD and it did the same thing. Added bonus it won;t even play any of the other tracks on any CD I have put in it will only start at the first track and quit after a minute!
    There is a card that was screwed to the thing when I installed it which said do not return to store call us. Since it is Sunday here I went to their website. I sent an email. Its www.dualav.com the unit I have is a XDM260 which isn't even on their site. I hope they choose to be helpful. Edit2- Doing research I see some of these came with a remote. Mine did not. Though it did have the wire for one.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by SubGothius; 11-06-2023 at 12:02 PM. Reason: Fixed image display

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    i'd stay clear of those reeaaaalllyyy wierd no-name..... n Pyle brand also!
    Had good luck with Amazon. Reviews r useful & ok feedback
    the mechless r only a litttle over half the depth of a CD player
    hot sellin $35 Boss 612 was my first years ago. Volumn knob quit responding after ~1 year
    Next, was old version $37 Bravo view, simple clean solid
    Both soundstreams still performing fine, $40 & $60. Generally very pleased so far with mechless

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Did you ground the chassis of the head unit to the dash frame? I have seen a few head units fail from not being grounded adequately (Pioneer head units would do this if they weren't given a solid ground to the car) Your head unit might be obsolete or it's simply a unit they don't stock. Those are meant to come with an infra-red remote control as well. Did this head unit look like something wasn't new when you pulled it out of the box? I smell something funky going on (like an ex-display unit being reboxed - not saying that it is...) This is it right? -

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Dual...4383.l4275.c10
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I grounded it same place I did the last one right up front of the dash top right screw of the airbox levers. I noticed that I could hear the disc spinning like it was squeaking very quietly. I put a cleaner disc in (with brushes) but could not hear it spin and the display switched from disc reading to MP3 reading??
    I saw that remote on ebay when I was researching. Mine came as is. I saw a vid on YT where the guy was unboxing the same unit no remote. They have a bunch of these on ebay for sale sans the faceplate but asking way too much. The guy asking $16 wants $15 to ship it!

EDIT- I have not got a reply to my email so I called the 800 number. I had to leave a message there was no answer other than the computerized system. According to the message that answers Dual is associated with Jensen.
    Last edited by 85Ram50; 05-29-2018 at 09:02 AM.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Solution! XDM260 gone.
    No response from the Dual folks to email or phone message. Had a crap morning dealing with an Autozone schmuck. Yea he really ticked me off. Wasted the day til 1pm driving around to find the part at other stores. Got it at Ebay. So I'm sitting here and figure what's to lose? I'll call Walmart and tell them what is going on. Long story short they told me they would exchange it for a working unit. At the time they had confirmed they had the same unit on the shelf for $49.97 or they would give me store credit. I asked to just exchange the head unit so I didn't have to change the wires they agreed. ! Turns out they had the XDM280BT on the shelf for the same price. They opened it and the harness plugged into my head unit so they did the exchange.Tested it when I got home radio and CD work!!
    Now I have a BT unit (Won't use it any more than I would have MP3) and I am at the same stage of working out how to build a box for it to sit tight in the dash that I was in when I discovered the CD did not work !!!!!! Yea Walmart!
    I have some galvanized sheet metal I'll probably use that. Take out the air ducts, get up in there and screw something to the metal bits to keep the top o the unit from hitting the speaker and be able to anchor the basket that holds it to something.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Too funny! Now that I have it replaced the Dual folks finally responded to the email. It tells me to reset it.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by 85Ram50 View Post
    Too funny! Now that I have it replaced the Dual folks finally responded to the email. It tells me to reset it.
    Better late than never (if you're not paying someone to install it, and go back to have it taken out, buy another one and install it, etc, etc...)

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Geez the Walmart folks let me exchange the bad unit for a good one before that guy finally responded.

Here is my solution to my problem with the speaker and the cut out on my dash. Looks like I need to take it apart sometime down the road and pull that left side out further so it sets closer to the face of the dash panel.
    What I came up with was to build a box with galv Sheet metal. Then line the top of it with non-conductive rubber. I bought what is called Switchboard mat. Cost $11.50 per foot off the 3ft long roll. I used 7" piece of my 1'x3'. I riveted the box together (had to crush the rivet near the front with vise grips so the plastic frame would fit.) spray glued the mat to it. I found out my tabs would not work so I folded a strip of sheet metal. I suppose it's called hem even if that is all I was using of the metal. Then I riveted a piece down in the lower right corner and drilled a 1/8 hole so the top right screw of the heater controls would hold it. I can't find the picture of that. Then I riveted a piece on the left to the dash metal that is still there and when I got the box set riveted it. (I probably need to redo that eventually. It left a big gap) Then I slipped the plastic frame for the basket that locks the unit in. Put in the basket pulled te wires out and plugged it in. After messing with it a bit I pushed it home. swithcboard mat.jpg cutout.jpg speaker magnet pushes dwn.jpg rivets!.jpg need to reset left side..jpg
    Last edited by 85Ram50; 06-01-2018 at 06:20 PM.

Array
    Status
    FL
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    Any 4” speakers will drop in. I just installed some kickers last week and used the plug and play adapters no cutting st all.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    You may need a support bracket for the rear of the head unit so stop it from bouncing around. It will drive you crazy if the disc player skips every time you hit a bump. Take out the glove box and reach around there to get a nut onto the anchor stud, it'll be worth it (makes it a-hole resistant too) I did a stealth head unit install in a glove box once - I had to set up all the mounts and brackets along with a custom surround plate with the head unit installed into it, then reinstall the whole glove box in one hit. The wiring was fun lol

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thank you will probably do that when I decide to redo the rivets to let the face sit closer to the front of the dash panel.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Reviving to update. I had wired the new unit with both the power and memory combined. It was draining my battery over night. I had to remove the neg cable when I parked all summer while I used it. The truck has been parked all winter. Today I removed the dash cover and took out the radio unit. Turns out I could cut the power wire right there, soldered it to a new extension, tape it and soldered it to the back of the radio fuse on the fuse block. I left the memory wire connected to constant power. w/o reinstalling it I plugged it in without putting it back into the dash and it works comes on with the key goes off with the key. I've left the battery connected to see tomorrow if it has died. I have not put it back in yet i figure I might as well reset that mount I made so it seems like its more professional. OH yea it started pretty easily compared to how hard it has been when I let it sit in the past. I only had to pour gas into the carb once.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Well got it mounted again. Its not great but will do until I decide to do something else.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Battery keeping charge now? At least you have choons

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Yes battery held its charge. I'm gonna have to work out a better mount or spring for a pro eventually.

Edit- Careful how you route the wires. The power wire I just added wasn't up as tight as I thought and it got grabbed by the hand brake ang cut power to the radio.
    Last edited by 85Ram50; 04-05-2019 at 12:24 PM.

Array
    Status
    Kent, WA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    On a related note - any tips/tricks on how to get the left side speaker removed?
    I just popped out the instrument cluster thinking that would give me access but ... nope.
    (mine is 2nd gen BTW)

***** UPDATE: Never mind, I figured it out! (speaker grilles pop off from the top)
    Last edited by charger_john; 03-15-2020 at 02:23 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12