Array
    Status
    Mira Loma, Ca
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Rear disk brakes & locking diff

I've been looking thru the threads here and this seems to be discussed more with the V6 MM and V6 Monteros. My original goal was to find a Montero with rear disk brakes to swap from but then I found a 99 Montero Sport with the 3.5 V6 and rear locking diff, snatched it up because I hadn't come across any them. I've been reading threads to see if I can put it on mine. 2.6L with Km154 4x4 tranny, Im guessing the rear end is too big for it. I also found a 95 Montero Sport 3.0 with rear disk set up and a smaller diff. Can I just steal the disk set up and swap it over to mine? Do I need the full rear diff? Do I have to find a Montero with a 4 cylinder in it instead of V6? Will either of these work for me?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Either can be made to work with mods - the issue is the gear ratio may be different than what you have in your truck, requiring a front diff gear swap as well. The 3.0 should have an 8" diff, the 3.5 is either a 9" or 9.5" depending on year. It will require the driveshaft to mod the end to match the rear if you use the one for the 3.5, the 3.0 should be the same as what you have. If you swap the front gear set out, get a locking diff from a starquest - it is slightly smaller than the rear diff carrier of the truck rear and a perfect match for the front. Since both rears are leaf spring, it should bolt right onto the leaf springs, but it is wider than the truck diff. It is easier to swap the whole axle than swapping the disc brake parts over - it means rebuilding the whole axle, and using the axles and brake parts and hoping they fit the truck axle housing.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Mira Loma, Ca
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    The the 3.0 should be the same as what you have. If you swap the front gear set out, get a locking diff from a starquest - it is slightly smaller than the rear diff carrier of the truck rear and a perfect match for the front. Since both rears are leaf spring, it should bolt right onto the leaf springs, but it is wider than the truck diff. It is easier to swap the whole axle than swapping the disc brake parts over
    Thanks for all the info Pennyman, I might just get the axels for now while I gather up everything for the larger rear end. The driveshaft mod you mentioned would that be adapting the end from the 3.5 to mine or swapping the whole Montero driveshaft to fit on mine?

Array
    Status
    Mira Loma, Ca
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Another question, sorry to bug, will I be needing the parking brake cables from the Montero or can I make mine work?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Yes get them and any mechanical parts under the Montero they are attached to - it will make the swap easier.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Nevada
    Vehicle

1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    3.0 have the 9" and the 3.5L has the 9.5" rear axle. Diff stuff doesnt interchange. Both have 8" front axles. Make sure you get matching gear sets.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    thank for the clarification on size. Got the years and sizes mixed up.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Mira Loma, Ca
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Chargerx3 View Post
    3.0 have the 9" and the 3.5L has the 9.5" rear axle. Diff stuff doesnt interchange. Both have 8" front axles. Make sure you get matching gear sets.
    Thanks, just picked it up. Will the 9.5" rear be to much for my 2.6? That thing looks beefy haha