Kensington, MD
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Ram 50, poor full throttle

Hi all!

1988 dodge ram 50 here 2.0 L.

My gas tank leaks past halfway, should get a new one or best suggestions before I remove it?

runs great! however, When I press down on the gas pass halfway- sorta dies sluggishly and moves reluctantly almost. found this on youtube. Anyone else have this going on? best fix? Haven't gone through the carbs yet either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrBq3eKu6wQ

Thanks all for the help!

Mike

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    There is a diaphragm on the carb for when the secondary kicks in that has failed - common problem. You can replace it and rebuild the carb, or swap it out with a Weber 32 / 36 and see what the truck can really do.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    As pennyman1 has pointed out, this is a common problem. There is a vacuum actuator that pulls the secondary throttle open once the linkages allow it to move. Disconnect the small elbow vacuum hose that is pushed onto the barb on top of the vac actuator, put a long hose onto it and suck it with your mouth. If you can pull air through it continuously, the diaphragm inside of it has split. If you can find another Mikuni carb the same as yours all you need to do is remove the retaining nut, disconnect the actuator rod and swap it onto your carb (test the donor actuator first to ensure it's not a dud as well). A bit of levering and wriggling but you should be able to get it on without unbolting the carb. This is an easy fix that will restore your mid to top end power.

Array
    Status
    Kensington, MD
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks for the help geezer and pennyman, it runs fine when it's warm I think. But I will get to diagnosing the vac actuator and replacing if necessary.