Status
    Columbus Ohio
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

G54B Valve Confusion

Hey y'all-

Recently bought a re-manned G54b head off of a guy to replace my stock head, which had a plug break off inside of it and has two cracked combustion chambers. After getting the head and taking it into my machine shop to get it checked out, he found two bent exhaust valves. Went to replace them, but all of the valves that I can find as replacements do not fit my new head, as they are too short and have a squared keeper as opposed to the stock round keeper.

This new head has the jet valves blocked and mechanical lifters, compared to my old head, with hydraulics.

Here are the specs of the valves that are currently in the head:
    OL 4.244
    HD 1.494
    Squared Keeper

And the specs of the stock 2.6 valves I bought to replace them:
    OL 4.173
    HD 1.496
    Rounded Keeper

Any suggestions or help very welcome. Trying to avoid dropping an additional $300 to get my old head re-manned and spare myself a paypal dispute with this guy.

Array
    Status
    Columbus Ohio
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ok, after some reading I've found that the mechanical rockers do indeed use valves of a different length than the hydraulic. My question now is, how the hell do i find mechanical-specific replacement valves (with the squared keeper)? Is there a specific car this configuration came in?

Array
    Status
    Columbus Ohio
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Figured it out, the head is from an 83-84 starion. A mod can feel free to delete this whenever.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    no actually this is good info for others in the same situation. Pre 85 heads were mechanical valve adjusters and have the short valves with the square keepers. 85 - 89 are Hydraulic lash adjusters, long valves and round keepers. They are available on eBay and RockAuto.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980