Array
    Status
    Somerville, AL
    Vehicle

1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72

Cooling System Issues

Have run into an issue with the cooling system that has me somewhat perplexed...

94 Mighty Max 4x4 with 3.8L V-6

My son came to me saying the truck was running a little hot. Temp not in the red zone but higher than normal. I added antifreeze and life went on. A few days later he comes to me again saying the truck over-heated and actually go into the red zone. I check the truck and no water in the reservoir bottle. I added close to 2 gallons of water to the radiator and then started the truck and let it come up to temp. I let it run a while and the temp gauge came up to the normal range and stayed there. After shutting the engine off and squeezing hoses I noticed there was no water in the upper radiator hose. My conclusion was a bad thermostat. I picked up a thermostat and went to swap it out today and ran into issues. I opened the radiator and there was no water. I opened the thermostat housing and no water in there either. Everything is covered in residue that is sort of copper colored and smells like old motor oil (has a gasoline smell). I added some water to see if I could see it coming out of the bottom but couldn't find anything (altho I didn't get underneath the truck). I added enough water for it come up to the thermostat and it was weird colored (same copper color). After sitting for 30 minutes or so, I noticed the water had dropped a half inch or so but still no sign of water dripping.

Any ideas or suggestions? Blown head gasket? I hope not... I don't want to rebuild an engine right now.

Thanks - Jamey

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    what about the oil - pull the dipstick. The water went somewhere.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Somerville, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    No water in the oil

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I think you have inherited a problem from way before you bought the truck. That coppery looking stuff in the cooling system is more than likely a stop-leak type of product. Does the exhaust smell sweet? And have you looked at the spark plugs? A clean plug would indicate coolant entering a combustion chamber (or 2...) Might be a dead head gasket or a cracked head.

Array
    Status
    Somerville, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    No stop leak that I know of. I have already rebuilt the engine once about 10 yrs ago due to a spun main bearing. Will keep digging but I foresee a rebuild in the future.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    A leak of this size 'should' be obvious. The coppery debris in the cooling system is a mystery if you haven't added it yourself and you personally rebuilt it 10 years ago. Hope for your sake it's just a blown head gasket (even then that isn't great but better than a cracked head...)

Array
    Status
    Somerville, AL
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    Turned out to be a blown head gasket. As soon as we pulled the head, it was obvious. The exhaust valve in #3 cylinder was the sme color as the coolant.

Array
    Status
    Pukwana, SD
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

6G72
    Change the radiator cap if you think about it mine over heated and the cap would leak after that put on a new cap and it's back to normal. That cap was almost 30 years old the other ones I had in the shop were all starting to break down also so a cheap investment.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    The coppery stuff is dried off coolant, i noticed some on the areas where i spilled some coolant the other day