Array
    Status
    Lynchburg Virginia
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63

1988 Max, trying to rescue

Hey everyone, I'm new here, really like reading the threads and but now I cant find what I'm looking for, so I decided to join the community. I'm not a mechanic, not very mechanically inclined, definitely dont speak the language, but I learn quick, and am determined.
    So, I got this Max from a kid in Winston-Salem. 88, 2.0 long block, 2wd, 5 speed, carb. He bought it to play in the snow and mud, just threw farm tags on it and tried to kill it. I gotta say, he did a good job, but the truck just won't quit. Drove it all the way home with a seriously bent wheel (if you know anything about NC or Va roads, you understand) and even tho the head gasket blew 5 miles from home, it made it back. Gotta say, I kinda love this thing and I've only gotten one decent ride. Anyway, I replaced the head gasket, and valve cover seal, new timing belt, thermostat and housing, pcv valve and hose, plugs and wires, oil/filter and coolant, basic maintenance stuff. I expect the exhaust to smoke because blown gasket and its probably the original exhaust, so carbon build up and sludge is expected to burn out, but this thing smokes like a diesel train. I've got a video, once I orient myself to this forum I'll upload it. Once it reaches what I would assume to be O.T. it REALLY smokes, like a phish concert, prior to everything done today, it was leaking quite a bit of coolant from the muffler (haha, I know "whats it doin in there") Have video of that too. For a day or so after replacing the gaskets it was getting moisture at the cuff joining the hedder and midpipe, I was finally able to run the truck today (cracked the thermostat housing the day before and gave up for the day) and was able to change the oil. Oil drain plug was round, and SERIOUSLY tourqued down, replaced it. Now instead of moisture, I noticed a good bit of black oil, after the change, leaking from the same location. I'm assuming because its running, and at O.T. at this point, that its just a bad piston ring, tho I'm not sure why the oil is so black considering I ran two quarts threw it when changing the oil just to clean it out. No sludge, milk, or anything seperating in the oil that came out during the change, just a new shade of black, and when I flushed the coolant system I only noticed a small amount of milk in that, not even enough to mix with your coffee. Pumped about 4 gallons threw the system and radiator to flush everything... I'm pretty much stuck at this point.. I have no help, no mechanically inclined friends (that are willing to help (their mostly gm guys)) not really willing to pay a mechanic or the $100 to get it towed to one. I can learn to do just about anything I need to. Right now I'm just trying to get the truck road worthy and running like it should, afterward I'll consider turboing or other fun options. So my issues are thick, THICK, white smoke at O.T (smokes from start, just gets worse) oil leaking at cuff meeting hedder and midpipe, and temp hand doesnt move despite replacing the thermostat and housing and burping the system a few times (have had to flush it a few times cause I keep thinking I've fixed it) I'm sure there's more I've done, more thats wrong, but I cant think of it.. If I dont post pics or videos I will when I figure it out.. I appreciate any help offered.. probably gonna start a build thread becuase of the incredible pain in my ass this has been.. Can't find an appropriate format for my videos. will deal with it later.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hi and welcome to mightyram. The vast majority of engine smoke and oil consumption issues are as a result of dead valve stem seals. This also fouls the oil like crazy. I would suggest taking the head off and getting it recon'd at a reputable machine shop. They'll let you know if the head is still viable (warped, cracked, corroded galleries, worn guides and valves/valve seats etc) I would recommend a full engine oil flush ( here's a link to my flush procedure - http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...ll=1#post49592 ) You'll find it will break up deposits in ring landings, hydraulics and the heavy sediment in the sump. The G63B engine has some quirks to it but is a reliable hunk of metal, unfortunately like any engine they can only take so much abuse before they check out. Good luck and let us know how you go.

Array
    Status
    Lynchburg Virginia
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63
    Thanks. I tore it down again yesterday and found my issue. Found quite the crack, must have been tiny when I replaced the gaskets, regardless, it's there. There's only one decent shop in my area and for the price, I'd be better off replacing the head. Unless I find a feasible upgrade for the motor.