Thread: I bought a boat, not a car, however...

Array
    Status
    moyock, nc
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B

I bought a boat, not a car, however...

I bought a boat, a 1989 Ski Supreme. It has a Mitsu g54 in it. However, exactly what g54 has been a problem. I can't find a normal number on it.

It was certified by Ski Supreme, the boat builder, and Pleasure-craft, the engine marinizer, as having 140 HP. It does this with a 2 barrel Rochester marine carb and point distributor. It has an oil pan that only matches the Starion oil pan, at least as far as autos go. It has a starter that only matches the Starion starter (9 tooth), at least as far as autos go (I found matches to the starter on Onan generators, Ford tractors, and several Japanese built fork lifts). Today I took the valve cover off, and see that the engine has no Jet valves in the head.

This motor is a marvel. The boat had been partially submerged several times in the past 5 years to the point that at one time the oil filter rusted through. When I got it, the oil pan was rusted through, the starter looked like it was filled with Georgia red mud, and the fuel pump had something that looked like Martian soil in it. The sea water pump was rusted solid, and the carburator was rusted and corroded with major calcium deposits. When I dropped the oil pan there was no rust or water damage anywhere. After fixing all this (which cost only $25 for an electric fuel pump, everything else was fixed with PB Blaster, WD 40, and lemon juice to boil the carb), the engine fired immediately, first crank. The boat screams, 40+ mph without breaking a sweat.

I love this engine. I want a couple more. I wish I knew exactly what it is. Anybody have any ideas?

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Post up pictures.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Sounds like it was a modified forklift motor - they were non-jet valve heads. The cam profile on that would be interesting as well. Post some pics - we like pics, and would like to see other applications of the G54. Welcome to the forum!
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    Sounds like it was a modified forklift motor - they were non-jet valve heads. The cam profile on that would be interesting as well. Post some pics - we like pics, and would like to see other applications of the G54. Welcome to the forum!
    +1 on that theory. A boat builder wouldn't go through a car dealership for an engine - it would be extortionistically expensive. But the forklift cam profile would be awful (I would expect it to only operate in a very limited rpm range)

It does show the forklift camshaft OEM part# being different (MD023150) vs Mighty Max (MD023151)

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    Leave it to Mitsubishi to put a forklift motor into a truck and a sports car

I'm pretty sure core gearbox of the V5MT1 transmission in the V6 trucks is originally from a Fuso application.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff V. View Post
    Leave it to Mitsubishi to put a forklift motor into a truck and a sports car
    The Nissan SR20 was a tractor engine...

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    my bet is the cam is a custom marine grind, not the forklift cam - total wrong profile.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980