Thread: 2002 Mistubishi montero sport is overheating.

Array
    Status
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72

2002 Mistubishi montero sport is overheating.

I just bought a 2002 montero sport with the 3.5L. I drove it for a couple days and it was getting hot like hot hot steam and what not. I took the thermostat out like I did in my mighty max and it is still overheating. My mighty has a cracked coolant reserve. This thing has a crack in it too but not as bad. Tried the same remedies on this thing but no luck. I drained the coolant out ran water through it drained it out put new coolant 50/50 ran it till it was hot and drained it again. Still no luck. Also there is kinda a gray sludge in the radiator as well. Any ideas. Thanks!!!!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The grey sludge is a possible indicator of oil making it into the cooling system. You can try filling it with distilled water and adding dishwashing detergent to it, leave the cap off with the heater on and run it hot to break up the oil sludge, flush, rinse, repeat. The oil sludge retains some of the heat and can clog heater and radiator cores. If you are getting continuous contamination in the system you have a problem (a blown head gasket or something more sinister like a cracked head) Replace the cracked reserve tank asap as it will ambush you.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    I didn't notice any coolant coming out of the exhaust like it did when I blew my head gaskets in my mighty. But it does seem weird

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    There are different signs of a blown head gasket or cracked head. Lots of steam/white smoke from the exhaust, oil in the coolant, coolant in the oil or weird bubbling in the radiator (exhaust gas bypassing into the cooling system)
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Check the radiator. Remove the cap and insert a fine rod or stout wire into the accessible core passages. If the wire doesn’t reach the bottom tank, the passages are plugged and the radiator needs to be rodded out or replaced. You can also run it until it’s hot, shut it off, then feel the radiator core. If the radiator is plugged, the center will be cooler than the outer sides. According to the radiator shop that rodded out my rad, the passages with the greatest air flow plug up first.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I've wondered about this - what would happen if you had the above situation of clogged cores and artificially heated them with a heat gun? Could it cause the calcification/debris to break up?

Array
    Status
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    I've wondered about this - what would happen if you had the above situation of clogged cores and artificially heated them with a heat gun? Could it cause the calcification/debris to break up?
    I’ve never heard of using just heat. Some deposits produced from aluminum corrosion are very hard and would take a lot of heat to break down. You could combine a strong solvent with the heat gun effectively hot tanking the targeted area. But if you don’t remove one or both tanks, you’d only be able to know you’ve opened the passages accessible via the rad cap. Clearing the other passages would be guesswork.
    Last edited by FMS88; 09-28-2019 at 11:15 PM.

Array
    Status
    Ca
    Vehicle

1993 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsuydam1
    I just bought a 2002 montero sport with the 3.5L. I drove it for a couple days and it was getting hot like hot hot steam and what not. I took the thermostat out like I did in my mighty max and it is still overheating. My mighty has a cracked coolant reserve. This thing has a crack in it too but not as bad. Tried the same remedies on this thing but no luck. I drained the coolant out ran water through it drained it out put new coolant 50/50 ran it till it was hot and drained it again. Still no luck. Also there is kinda a gray sludge in the radiator as well. Any ideas. Thanks!!!!
    ..... edit , pictures vanished.
    Last edited by claych; 10-05-2019 at 10:29 AM.

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I would start by doing a combustion gas leak test on the radiator. https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-75500-C...0220526&sr=8-2
    This is the one I use, reasonably priced and works well.
    I think you're ultimately going to be looking at a head gasket or cracked head/block. Sludge in the coolant is usually brown from iron oxidizing as the coolant's corrosion inhibitors wear out. I suspect the grey sludge is a head gasket repair in a can. There's a decent chance someone dumped a can in and sold the truck immediately there after.
    The combustion gas leak tester will save a lot of time poking and prodding around trying to figure out what the culprit is. If you can see bubbles in the radiator cap shortly after starting before the coolant has warmed up, you can pretty much guarantee it's a head gasket or crack.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    *something I observed recently. I cobbled together a replacement radiator for my Gen 1 and decided to repaint it myself with satin black epoxy paint. After hitting this thing with paint stripper, not all of the paint wanted to budge after pressure cleaning it so I tried a heat gun. Wasn't entirely successful but I could hear a lot of 'pinging' while I was carefully heating up the cores (mostly in the central ones) The heat did actually break up some of the scale build up and a lot of flakes fell out of the outlet/inlet pipes.

I didn't take into consideration someone may have done a shade tree fix on your engine and used a stop leak treatment on it. This crap is nasty to get out of an engine and radiator...