Array
    Status
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Leaking windshield

How do i remove the trim around the windshield? We got around 3 inches of rain last night and I can see I have a leak coming through the drivers corner up top. My trim piece is already lifted up a little bit so I'm assuming that's what's causing it but I don't want to go pulling on it if there's a certain way it has to come off. Thanks in advance

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    That trim is held in by plastic clips and is just for aesthetics, it doesn't seal anything. Most likely whoever replaced the windshield last didn't do a good enough job of sealing the windshield with sealant or the window frame is rotting away.

Anyways to get the trim off either pry/pop it up with something small and flat(and risk breaking the clips), or to try and not break all the clips you can try to start on one end of the trim and lightly lift up while sliding the trim sideways and out of the clips.

Array
    Status
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Alright thanks. When I was looking into buying new trim I saw clips for sale are they the clips replaceable if they're broken? I know for sure one is but if I can get away with just replacing it I'll go that way.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I've been told by a glass guy the trim adds tension to the gasket which helps it seal. I just replaced my 85Ram windshield with a Steel Rubber gasket that does not have a place for the trim. It looks good.

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    Quote Originally Posted by t97
    When I was looking into buying new trim I saw clips for sale are they the clips replaceable if they're broken? I know for sure one is but if I can get away with just replacing it I'll go that way.
    They have a part number separate from the trim itself. I pulled my clips with the intent of replacing the trim, but ended up not using them. I'll see if I still have some.

Quote Originally Posted by 85Ram50
    I've been told by a glass guy the trim adds tension to the gasket which helps it seal.
    I'm not buying that. I had my windshield replaced, and the guy installed a generic rubber trim in place of the factory metal trim. It puts next to no pressure on the glass.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I think he meant it tensioned the rubber gasket. Anyway its not leaking now.

Array
    Status
    Wichita Falls, Texas
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Alright just let me know if you've still got them. Is the windshield like the back glass where you can work it out with a tool or is it a type of sealant?

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    You can still buy new windshield trim/moulding clips... http://www.ebay.com/itm/171411519333...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    I'm pretty sure that aside from adding new gaskets cleaning out the built up gunk at the bottom end of the fenders where they meet the door helps the water that goes into the cowl to drain. You have to remove two bolts at the bottom and a few in the wheel well and you'll find a lot of crap.