Array
    Status
    Wichita ks
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64

Dodge Omni

Ok so I asked about the jeep an that was a no go will parts from the dodge Omni fit our trucks? Because I found a Shelby glhs which has the larger turbo an 2.2 engine.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    If you can find an ax15 tranny (manual) from a 2wd Dakota, it will work. That is a turbo II motor - good for 175 HP with the intercooler.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Wichita ks
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    It's supposedly more because it's the Shelby GLHS but I don't know enough about them they claim the dodge Omni is 175hp an the Shelby was like 220 or something like that.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Nuts...just nuts. If you can mate a RWD transmission to the Shelby modded engine it will be something different. I bet there's even more HP to be squeezed out of it as they claim it had to be nerfed so the FWD transmission wouldn't grenade.

Array
    Status
    Wichita ks
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    That's what I read too, that they had trannies blowing to pieces. I just assumed since it was a 2.2 it would be the same bolt pattern as some of our rear wheel trannies.

Array
    Status
    Wichita ks
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    The biggest reason I keep finding an asking about these is I have a buddy who is looking for a hot rod but also likes mini trucks, an is especially fond of the mighty max an ram50. So I'm trying to find a cheap way for him to pull some H.P. Out of the truck as I will be doing all the work on his since he doesn't even know how to hook up battery cables an since it's not one of my vehicle an will be taking time away from my family an vehicles I wanna do an easy swap that's cheap because he doesn't have a lot of money but I wanna do it right not slap together as I can't stand that duct tape bailing wire job people like to do in the rice market. An please no one take offense as I'm not talking about all just a lot that I've seen.

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    isn't the shelby GLH very rare ? Unable to restore I take it

if willing to tackle a fuel injected turbo swap, what can b better than the tried and proven dsm 4g63 into these trucks ?
    u could still find good starion/conquest drivetrains too

or grab any 'cheap' running/driving rwd donor(domestic v6 or v8) and transfer the drivetrain over

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf.50Ram View Post
    That's what I read too, that they had trannies blowing to pieces. I just assumed since it was a 2.2 it would be the same bolt pattern as some of our rear wheel trannies.
    The Omni is a French designed platform so none of the DSM/Mitsubishi gear is compatible. Which also explains why the transmissions weren't OTT engineered. You will be better off sticking to the tried and true 4G63 swap unless you have a V6/V8 full drivetrain swap on the cheap. The best thing about Mitsu hardware is it isn't a hash of ebay bargains made for a good time but not a long one. They can produce good solid numbers without reliability issues and there's good aftermarket support for tuning the hell out of them (if you have the funds you can buy a 4G63 billet block that is engineered for 4000 HP - rice is not on the menu...)

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    The 2.2 is not a French design, but was designed but the same American engineer that created the slant 6, the leaning tower of power. The turbo II in the GLHS is a 175 hp motor - the turbo I motor was 146 - 150 hp. The 220 horse motors were the ones in the Dodge Spirit R/T, 1st year Daytona IROC, Maserati convertible and LeBaron GTC. Those cars had the Maserati built cross flow heads - only ones for the 2.2 / 2.5 motors. These motors will come alive with minor tweaking. The trannies blew because they were typical Mopar trannies of the era, they were all crap. If you can get the whole GLHS, that would be the unique swap, and parts are not that expensive.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    So it's a couple of platforms fused together? I read it as Chrysler using French made Simcas (Chrysler Australia had a similar import deal going during the 70's)

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Omni / Horizons used a Peugeot motor in the beginning - 1.7l, then went to the 2.2. Chrysler did own Simca, but they were gone by the time the Omni / horizons appeared. It was their answer to the rabbit.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Wichita ks
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    Thank you pennyman, I thought that everything I read said it was Chrysler built unlike the older ones. I am planning on doing a 4g63 swap into mine I have a 91 but it's in bad condition as far as rust but I found one close that has 86xxx Miles I'm going to swap that motor an tranny into mine for a reliable beater an use the higher mile motor an tranny out of mine to do an awesome swap because I already have to rebuild I might as well use the ones with the higher miles.

As for doing a swap for him I would have to steal his wife's purse an get his balls out then convince a plastic surgeon to reattach them an at the same time make them bigger. An I still don't think that he would do it for a few reasons one she won't give him his money, two he says he wants a hotrod an a mini truck so I said hey let's hotrod the mini truck he said ok then I went through what we were gonna do an how much power we could try for an he said I don't need that much so I said then it's not a hotrod, third he can't even hook up jumper cables which means I lose time with all my projects cars,motorcycle,guns,straight razors,knives,an last bit not least family.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Problem with projects are you are always 50% short on the estimate for a budget. That becomes 100% short on budget if you haven't got a clue and probably shouldn't be picking up a screwdriver. These trucks are lightweight (light = might) so getting them to haul is achievable with a real world budget. I can understand where your buddy's wife is coming from. If he is hopeless with tools I can imagine a gaping chasm being stuffed with hard earned cash as the truck gets towed from shop to shop. Doesn't make for domestic bliss

Array
    Status
    Bothwell,Ontario
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G64
    If thats a real GLHS I would NOT tear it apart. They are quite rare