Array
    Status
    Mira Loma, Ca
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

G54b 3 different heads

In my junkyard adventures I have found a couple variations for my 2.6L G54b, so I'm wondering which would be best for building decent performing truck. My truck is 4x4 so that might be a factor in choosing. My options are a Hydraulic Jet Valve head, Mechanical Jet Valve head and a Mechanical Non Jet head.
    When I say mechanical and hydraulic I'm referring to the manual and hydraulic lash adjusters.
    I'm not trying to pour a ton of money into it so I'm looking for something reliable and with decent power, maybe close to the 200hp range. Not sure if that's possible without strapping on a turbo to it haha
    I do know that the mechanical head would take a larger cam better than the hydraulic

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Mechanical non jet valve head - jet valve heads are prone to cracking, the jet valves themselves can fail and if you choose to use a high lift cam, hydraulics can compress enough to negate the extra intended lift.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the mechanical non jet head - is it off a caravan / k-car, or a replacement head? There are a lot of differences between the 2.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Mira Loma, Ca
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    the mechanical non jet head - is it off a caravan / k-car, or a replacement head? There are a lot of differences between the 2.

It was on a Mighty Max but the markings are the same as the Clearwater heads. I believe those are for the caravans right?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    if its the same as Clearwater then it is a Clearwater, which is the better head - grab it, but be sure to untorque it the right way to minimize warping - its the reverse of torque down.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Mira Loma, Ca
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Will do, thanks pennyman1. Just one more question, are the specs for the lash adjusters the same as the head with jet valves? I've been looking around and the only specs I find are for the jet valve head.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    there are no adjustments for the lash adjusters - they adjust the lash like a hydraulic lifter on a regular motor.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Mira Loma, Ca
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    there are no adjustments for the lash adjusters - they adjust the lash like a hydraulic lifter on a regular motor.
    Now I'm a little confused, sorry pennyman. So even though the it is has the manual lash adjusters instead of hydraulic I wouldn't have to check the clearance on it? Between the the points of contact with the valve stem?

Array
    Status
    Mira Loma, Ca
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I ask because when I took my Jet valve head to get machined the shop gave me specs to adjust it if it was ticking too much, for hot and cold adjustment

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Yes, you need to manually adjust mechanical tappets with a 12mm ring end wrench and a flat blade screwdriver. Preferred method is hot adjustment (they are typically noisier cold until they expand from heat cycles)

Array
    Status
    Mira Loma, Ca
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    Yes, you need to manually adjust mechanical tappets with a 12mm ring end wrench and a flat blade screwdriver. Preferred method is hot adjustment (they are typically noisier cold until they expand from heat cycles)
    Ok, cool. But would you guys know if the gap would be the same for the jet and non-jet heads? I can't find anything for the non-jet

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Hot clearances are 0.008" on the intake valves - 0.012" on the exhaust valves. Add .0.002" for setting them cold. I prefer to set them by feel hot. Just a matter of grabbing the rockers and adjusting them to the point where you can feel them barely moving with the valves closed. I find that setting the clearances with feeler gauges can be a very hit and miss affair if the rockers are exhibiting signs of wear.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    I missed the prt about the non-jet head being mechanical, sorry for the confusion. I think those valve adjustments look too big to me - I thought they were .006 intake and exhaust, but I am going by Geronimo's head, and his is an early g54b motor. The manual would be the best source for the correct setting - use the 1984 valve lash adjustments, as 85 up are hydraulic.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Mira Loma, Ca
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ok thanks guys!