Array
    Status
    Marshall, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

Head Gasket source and advice?

Hello everyone, new member here with a 4D55T swapped 93 Ford Ranger. Motor is out of an 87 Ranger with the wastegated turbo. Bought the truck because it was a super clean swap, even retaining heat and a/c. On the way home, it started having some overheating trouble, and now it is feeding exhaust gasses into the cooling system while cranking and will not start. Truck has the head gasket replaced about 3 years ago and I believe this is the head gasket again, if not I have spare heads. What is the best source for a head gasket for one of these motors? And does anyone have a write-up or advice on doing the job? I've owned other diesels, and have performed injection pump replacements on my 6.2/6.5 GM trucks, but I have never dug as far as a head gasket. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    You can get Felpro head gaskets for these motors, just get online. I think O'Reilly's has them listed online. If you've been running with a blown head gasket make sure to check that the head hasn't warped or cracked anywhere, or else you'll have an even bigger problem.

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    Sounds more like it has a cracked head, hard to tell until you pull the head

Array
    Status
    Marshall, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I've searched through the diesel forum and I haven't been able to find a great write up. I've never torn into one this far and really don't want to mess anything up. Is there a manual online or a good write up and setting the timing after pulling the head as well as the torque specs and procedure for the head bolts? Thanks in advance.

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    http://www.lilevo.com/mirage/Manuals...E8605%2011.pdf
    Here is a link to a manual. I printed this off and used it for the rebuild on my motor. It is the same info as whats in the factory service manual so it should answer some of your questions.

Array
    Status
    Marshall, NC
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Got the head off last night. Cracked between intake and exhaust valves on cylinders 1 and 2. Have a spare atleast. Is there a source for cam bearings for these motors? Thanks in advance, Cade.