Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

Horn upgrade???

I have this type of horn to replace old broken horn with single pole+ and the old horn has 2 wires on it ? Just wanted to see how I can install this in place of the old horn ?? Do I need a relay kit so I don't pop fuses ???

New :500hz
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Old: Mitsubishi broken horn :
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    The horn is a very simple circuit. The old horn with 2 inputs has a positive and ground wire coming into it. The horn with a single wire has a positive wire coming in and will use the part bolted to the vehicle body as the ground.

Depending on what you mount the horn to, you could use only the positive wire (positive wire connected to the input and that bracket attached to a metal truck body part) or you could use both wires (positive wire connected to the input and the ground wire connected to that bolt on the bottom of the horn).

It should be fine on the stock fuse, unless the horn has a crazy high wattage for a horn.

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Yes

thank you , I did that exactly using a 2011 Honda civic horn with a single leg And grounded out the other wire and it keeps poping fuses . I'm going to try this horn and see if it kicks a fuse/?/

Array
    Status
    Louisville KY
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    You have to have a 40 Amp relay Installed on a lot of aftermarket horns. Just did it to my truck. For a simple Blazer horn from auto zone. (Yes I know they suck) I just wanted one to pass inspection to get plates. lol, but I still had to use a relay. Ground out one of the Hot Posts and then the others go to the relay.
    Attached Images

Array
    Status
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B
    From what I can find (stock replacements and other Mitsubishi horns), the stock horn draws 3 amps (36 watts). If you know the amp draw or wattage of the new horn, you should be able to tell if you need a relay.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    It is best to run a relay - the horn circuit is not a high current circuit and will fry with any horn of normal current draw, such as a standard car horn. It also solves the popped fuse issue.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    pa
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Good ideas and thanks for the wire diagram helps a lot . I will use a relay on it then and see if that works .��

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    thanks for posting this info....I have been lucky with no fuse issues & have been running 4 Mitsubishi horns for decades (love the unique sound).....watch it blow a fuse today.