Array
    Status
    Conway, AR
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

wheel bearing races

So finally got the caliper and the caliper frame off to remove the hub and separate the disk from the hub. Is there a way to remove the wheel bearing races at home and insert the new ones, or am I going to have to do what the book says and take it to a facility to get it pressed.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    I've done bearing races at home without a press. You'll need a couple of pin punches to knock the old ones out and it's only a matter of gently tapping the new ones in with either a big socket and hammer or using a pin punch and working your way around the edge of the race to drive it into the race seat. There are recesses under the seating edge of the races where you rest the pin punch to knock it out from inside the hub.

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Yup, use a couple of pin punches to get old ones out and install with a bigger sized socket or buy a cheap bearing install/removal kit from harbor freight

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    I haven't done it myself, but I hear that you can get the old race, once removed and use that to drive in the new race. Although I think you will need to grind down the walls of the old race a little. Good luck.

Array
    Status
    Earth - California
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by BJH324JH View Post
    I haven't done it myself, but I hear that you can get the old race, once removed and use that to drive in the new race. Although I think you will need to grind down the walls of the old race a little. Good luck.
    To add to my previous post, (No edit button) here is a YouTube video that demonstrates the hub rebuilding process pretty well.