Array
    Status
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Starting from scratch

As you all are no doubt aware, complete turbo 2.6L Starquest engines are getting rare, so I'll have to do this is stages piece-mill.

Other than different pistons that I would normally replace when I rebuild an engine, is there any difference in the bottom half of a 2.6L G45B engine between a turbo and non-turbo version? Can I start with any good rebuildable block?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the turbo blocks have oil squirters that spray the pistons to keep them cool - the oil galley can be tapped to add them. The intercooled motor crank was nitrided to improve strength and wear. The oil pump and pickup are also different, but the rods are the same forged rods as the truck motor. The base block is a truck block. If you weren't in WA, I have a spare block that 1 cylinder needs a sleeve I would give you. I got it as part of a deal of all the parts someone had for a conquest - this block was supposed to be ready to go, just assemble. Upon block bore checkout, the builder happened to check the bores at a 45degree angle, and found one of the cylinders was .030 in one spot, so I built another block I had instead.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980