Thread: Used Weber carb -- what to look out for?

Array
    Status
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

Used Weber carb -- what to look out for?

Hello:

I am considering buying a used Weber carb. It's currently mounted on a 2.0 mighty max, still using a mechanical pump. Owner says it is an electric choke (what I need for my G54B), but doesn't know exactly what the carb model it is. My questions are as follow:
    1. I know BradMPH posted about authentic Weber castings here. Is carb's model model or carb's serial number stamped on it? If it's a serial number, then what's the easy way to tell the model?
    2. Can the carb be damaged being run off of a mechanical pump (over-pressurized)?
    3. If there is a way to fire up the engine the carb is on, is there anything I can do to test it out? How about if I can drive? I just don't have any point of reference as to how it should feel or how to check the typical weak spots.
    4. Anything else I should looking out for?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The Weber carb will not be damaged by running it straight off a mechanical pump - but it will run rich, experience flat spots and exhibit a number of other symptoms as a result. However it will kill the mechanical pump from over pressurisation in no time. There is a model code stamped onto the base of the Weber which will identify what it is. If it's on a running engine you won't have any issues with adapting it to the 2.6 but you will need to block off the coolant port under the mounting seat for the carb (really easy mod to perform).

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    be sure to get the adaptor plates when you get the carb - they help make it a bolt on, so to speak.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980