Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T

Cool Head bolt threads stripped ?

Ok heres the story.....A local repair shop was payed to do a full rebuild on our engine. (4D55T in an 83 D-50 Royal 4X4) Which they seemed to have done as it ran great ..for about A year..BUT....On our trip up to Prudehoe bay-Alaska it started using water.(About a quart or 2 a day...but still running cool..& no sign of any leaks..or steam out the tailpipe or in the oil) Now being so far away from home (Home being near Bellingham Wa.) we just kept it topped up .She made it it home just fine. Then about a month later just idling in the driveway....POOFF ! ..it blows the overflow bottle ...blew the cap OFF & to pieces... Still running cool... never showed any sign of over heating ..So i take it back to the shop and talk to the tech that did the work AND..... & this is his words now " Oh yeah...i figured that was gonna happen... when i was putting it together i saw that a few of the threads in the block for the headbolts were stripped out... there was no way i could repair them so i just put it together anyway." SO now what ? We have`nt driven it since... Can it still be fixed? Would`nt it be a relatively simple fix to put some "Helicoils" in those holes and a new headgasket ? Its only got Maybe... 5000.. miles on it since the rebuild...

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    A helicoil will work but a King-sert OR Time-sert is better. IDK why they didn't do that the first time.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    WOW! just WOW!

What's more amazing that he did it or that he admitted to it?!

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Yah that guy`s a DICK ... turns out they`ve been cutting corners on repairs like that for years ... So it looks like i`ll be pulling the head myself to install the inserts (Whats that saying ? ... If you wanted something done right you should`a done it yourself ....) Anybody happen to know what the specs on those threads are ? And what size Allenwrench fits the headbolts ?

Array
    Status
    WA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    You can possibly drill and tap for larger headbolt studs. Example is the 7 bolt dsm has smaller studs then the 6 bolt studs.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/2g-...6-bolt.357205/