Array
    Status
    Grand Forks BC
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?

KM145 Transfer Case

I have three trucks now lol. All three in various states of repair. I'm planning on taking the transfer case off one and putting it on another. Both trucks 2.6l gas 4 wheel drives. But I'm curious what I might find under the shifter lid on the transfer case I'm replacing. Right now the shifter flops around freely and doesn't lock into any positions for 2w, 4w low or 4W high.
    Is it possible the roll pins in the shift rail fittings just under the shifter have come loose? Thank you.

Array
    Status
    Grand Forks BC
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Got it apart put a pin in all is good.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    This has been an issue for other members - no chance you took pics or can identify what roll pin failed for future reference?

Array
    Status
    Grand Forks BC
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    There are three pins under the lid. But it was the one on the shifter fork. Sorry no pic.

Array
    Status
    Grand Forks BC
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Pulling the tranny from one truck today. The manual says to put a floor jack under the oil pan of the engine to help support it when you remove the tranny, and i'm assuming they are recommending leaving the jack there. Just wondering how critical this is. I have to push one truck out of the garage after I take the tranny out. Then i'm bringing home another from 6 hours away without the tranny in it. I'm assuming the engine is not blocked up. Anyone have any experience with the engines stability with the tranny removed?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    you run the risk of tearing the motor mounts from the sag of the block. lay a 2x4 across the engine bay wrap a chain around the 2x4 and attach the motor to the chain, to support the block from above.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Grand Forks BC
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Thank you pennyman1.

Array
    Status
    Grand Forks BC
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Ok pulled the tranny but it didn't exactly slide right out. Tried lowering and raising the floor jack supporting the tranny. The clutch and the front top sides of the tranny were catching on the floor boards. It finally came loose when the tranny was jacked right up and I guess pretty much level. I've read on here some guys can pull and reinstall in 2 hours a pop. Any tips on reinstalling. I'm going to try the shaft as close as possible to the bell housing and jack straight up and hope it gets high enough to slide right in before I start having contact with the clutch shaft, and sides of the tranny with the floor boards again. Any words of wisdom out there.? Thank you.

Array
    Status
    Grand Forks BC
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    Done