Thread: My 4d55 performance build

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    If you back off the timing will it cool it down?
    I think you are on the edge. You need to back somthing down just a little, or somthing is going to give. If you can back things down one at a time to get her to smoke a little then work it back up just a touch you can take one step back from the edge and enjoy the view.
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Benton, Ks
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Yeah I thought of that. I'll probably back it down a bit tomorrow. I do want to get a little more fuel though. That'll just be farther down the road.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Cool I just don't want you to pop it after so much work. At least not that fast. Would not want to see a new youtube video show up.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Benton, Ks
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Haha! Well I think it'll be okay. Its a trial and error thing. Its not like it would be my first time blowing up an engine though. Lol! I put a rod through the side of my 600hp 7.3l Powerstroke day before yesterday. Too much power for too long. I have another engine ready to go back in it, just have to find the time.

Array
    Status
    KY
    Vehicle

1996 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D56-T
    I'm hitting between 1200 and 1250 on hills with a stock motor and no intercooler (yet).

Array
    Status
    KY
    Vehicle

1996 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D56-T
    And that is pre turbo.

Array
    Status
    Benton, Ks
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    Im done with this project and I have another d50 to start on.

<<< EDIT >>>
    Only donators can sell parts on the board.
    Last edited by camoit; 04-15-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Array
    Status
    Upper So. CA
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G52
    snippage.....

As stated, propane is a fuel. A fuel which has a much higher flash point than diesel and a higher expansion rate.
    Now fuel is injected into an engine at an exact moment. That's what we all know is timing. Inject too early and you have un atomized fuel being compressed and going off at or before top dead center. Resulting in a windowed block. Same goes for too much timing. Now. Why on Gods green earth would you inject a fuel that spikes cylinder pressures to an unsafe level without controlling when the fuel is injected? People do it. Some get lucky and it lasts a little while longer than others. Eventually though it'll bite em.
    First post, researching these engines as a possible swap into my yota Xcab 4x4 when this caught my eye. Can't speak to the expansion rate, but the flash point statement is wrong if an SAE publication is to be believed. "Alternative Fuels Guidebook" (R. Bechtold, 1997 SAE; ISBN 0-7680-0052-1) pg. 66 has a listing of Propane and diesel fuel properties side by side. Flash point for diesel is 165*f; flash point for Propane is -156*f

Perhaps flash point was confused with Auto-Ignition temperature? Diesel's Auto-Ignition temperature is listed as being 600*f while Propane's is listed as being 855*f. Assuming that the combustion chamber temperature never reached 855*f & nothing in the chamber (head surface, valves, etc.) was at or above that temperature then the propane would not ignite. It would be there waiting for the diesel injection to commence combustion. This variability in when induction induced propane ignites could explain why propane caused catastrophes are random rather than exactly predictable.

Combustion commencing before TDC isn't uncommon, it intentionally happens very frequently. Witness that timing advance is always before TDC and poor running results from late timing. Some of that is to offset the "inertia" of components in the system, but not all of it. Combustion starting TOO early is altogether a different thing and is a problem.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I wasn't talking about on the light duty engines. Your benefit is too little. I do know people that have the systems and they work just fine. Class 8 heavy duty I can gain from 1 to 3 MPG if I was to add propane and reduce the injected amount of fuel in my cat engines. But that is not enough for the government. They want zero emissions for diesels.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Benton, Ks
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge D-50
    <<<<< EDIT >>>>> No selling on the board with out being a donator. 2nd time.
    Please do not post adds.

Look here to see what happens.

http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...0499#post10499
    Last edited by camoit; 06-08-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Array
    Status
    Versialles, MO
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Please Select Engine Type
    Hey I put a 4d55 in an '87 Mazda B2600 too!1206091832.jpg
    Here's mine, I put 16" rims and 265x75R16 tires on it

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Why did the thread have to end? I was enjoying learning about what I can do to these engines. How would you go about lowering the compression? Do they make pistons that aren't as high? Don't forget you've got a pretty weak engine for the weight. Lowering the compression will also reduce responsiveness but then again turbo spool won't be as bad as on gas engines since it should spool faster. Also I intend to put 3.55s in my truck to see what it can do. Guys at work always joke about how these trucks couldn't do 70mph new.

Array
    Status
    KY
    Vehicle

1996 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by recian View Post
    Why did the thread have to end? I was enjoying learning about what I can do to these engines. How would you go about lowering the compression? Do they make pistons that aren't as high? Don't forget you've got a pretty weak engine for the weight. Lowering the compression will also reduce responsiveness but then again turbo spool won't be as bad as on gas engines since it should spool faster. Also I intend to put 3.55s in my truck to see what it can do. Guys at work always joke about how these trucks couldn't do 70mph new.
    The guys at work would be dead wrong! I've had mine well over 80 several times. Hell, I drive 70-75 everyday back and forth to work with lots of throttle left.

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Theyre specifically talking about the older 4d55 diesel from the 80s D50s. On mine I plan to add an intercooler, 3" exhaust and replace both F and R diffs with 3.55s and keep the stock 15" tires. It should have no problem with MPGs or reliability then. I'd like to add a 4d56 roller rocker head and lower the compression then up the boost with a good name brand turbo. Could I swap the 4d56 internals into the 4d55 block? Then I could afford to lower the compression to keep the engine cooler but should maintain the same feel as they've got a 5mm longer stroke making up for the torque. I'd like to make something to shut em up. When this truck is done I'll probably sell my 2nd gen and buy a mind 90s 12v cummins ram for a real drag truck since parts are way more available than performance parts for this engine. Plus it'll handle alot more abuse but I'd like to give this one something to brag about.

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Try soaking them in carb cleaner overnight, unless you see they have melted or have heat marks on them. May just have a carbon coating on them...

Array
    Status
    Alexander City, AL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Not sure about the Mazda gearing in a swap. My (bought new) 84 hauled ASS! I cruised to the beach and back every other wkend at 80+ and it was cruising..top speed was over 100 indicated..they redlined at over 4500, if memory is correct!

Array
    Status
    New Bern, NC
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Yours had somewhere around 3.73 I believe. The 5 speeds had taller rear gears. Autos were lower which is why they tend to be slower. That's what my 84 has. I've got a set of 3.23 or something around that range from a 4x4 auto if 72dusted would let me know what he wants for them...

Array
    Status
    Neosho Mo
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Hey your not to far from me I believe I was wondering where to get parts for my truck I have a 1984 turbo diesel dodge ram 50 first one I have ever owned could you help me?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345