Thread: I need help ... with Mighty Max carburetor 1986 2.6L!

Array
    Status
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G54B

Question I need help ... with Mighty Max carburetor 1986 2.6L!

Help ... I need to know how to identify which model of carburetor has installed my Mitsubishi Mighty Max 4wd 1986 with engine G54B

Array
    Status
    Washington State
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B
    If it's stock...it's a Mikuni Solex Carb. There should be a metal tag bolted to the carb from factory. Grab the numbers off that to identify. Also, depending on the state you live in, you can replace the carb with a Weber. It will get better performance and the parts are easy to find. The Mikuni carb can be a headache and especially when they are as old as your truck is, 30 years. If you still can't get things figured out. Take a snap shot and post it in forum.
    Anyway, check for a tag or code number on the existing carb, then we can point you in the direction you want to go in.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    It will be a Mikuni 32/35 DIDTA

Array
    Status
    new york
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by geezer101 View Post
    It will be a Mikuni 32/35 DIDTA
    is that the same carburetor for the RAM 50 SPORT w/ the 2.6L engine & auto transmission ?

Array
    Status
    new york
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMph View Post
    If it's stock...it's a Mikuni Solex Carb. There should be a metal tag bolted to the carb from factory. Grab the numbers off that to identify. Also, depending on the state you live in, you can replace the carb with a Weber. It will get better performance and the parts are easy to find. The Mikuni carb can be a headache and especially when they are as old as your truck is, 30 years. If you still can't get things figured out. Take a snap shot and post it in forum.
    Anyway, check for a tag or code number on the existing carb, then we can point you in the direction you want to go in.
    is that the same carburetor for the RAM 50 SPORT w/ the 2.6L G54B engine & auto transmission ?
    what would be the WEBER carburetor number/model & where to find it ?

Array
    Status
    new york
    Vehicle

1983 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by solartony View Post
    is that the same carburetor for the RAM 50 SPORT w/ the 2.6L G54B engine & auto transmission ?
    what would be the WEBER carburetor number/model & where to find it ?
    for California

Array
    Status
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    There are two screws that hold a flanged ring around the carb throat opening at the very top of the carb ~ I had success removing these screws with my driver drill increasing the driver #s until they finally backed out (Japanese screws use a special + drive it's not exactly like a Philips (can't remember their name) anyway IF you're lucky the carb will have it's model # lasered into the carb body under that removable ring...
    Mikes Carburetors has new factory plastic float (it's same as 1987 floats) he also has the filter that pops onto the fuel supply inlet around the needle seat ~ test the needle seat for leakage with it upside down by applying vacuum to the fuel inlet barb (make sure the float adjustment is within spec) replace gaskets O-rings 'n all softwear in the rebuild kit ~ goodluck & see my four photo albums Mikuni Rebuild...
    Daily Overhauls Do Get Expensive

Array
    Status
    Tucson, AZ USA
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    For compliance with California CARB emissions regs, pretty sure you'd need to stick with an original stock type of carburetor, no non-stock (e.g. Weber) swaps allowed, but you can replace it with an identical unit.

In that case, and if you're sure your original carb needs a rebuild/replacement (not just cleaning and tuning), I'd go with a rebuilt Mikuni carb ready-made off the shelf if you can afford it. I gather these Mikunis are a real challenge to rebuild, even for experienced rebuilders, lots of tricky/fiddly bits and unintuitive potential pitfalls. Rebuilt carb vendors should know exactly what version of Mikuni carb your year/model/spec of truck originally had and what to supply as an identical rebuilt replacement.
    1987 Dodge Ram 50 4G54 RWD longbed ("Elmo")
    1979 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Lola")
    1982 Lancia Beta Zagato spider ("Luigi")