Array
    Status
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T

Injector Pump Wiring 4d55t

So I am swapping my 4d55t finally into my vehicle. It has taken me an embarrassingly long time to get this far, but the engine is in one piece now.

I have not been able to definitively figure out how to wire up the connectors on the injector pump. The manuals that i have do not seem to delve into that territory. I have been sourcing a starter and alternator for an 85' D50 2.3L diesel, as well as a clutch master cylinder (vehicle was cable driven). So that leaves the wiring for the injector pump that i need to sort out.

Additionally i am looking for a glow plug timer box.. rock auto just seems to have some generic relay that it seems they are relating to that.

Being that I bought the engine in pieces and never saw the original vehicle, I am lacking a bit of background knowledge on this wiring stuff, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    Pump wise, i am only using 2 wires out of everything. 1 is kill solenoid (needs to have 12v to allow fuel into the pump)
    Other to my custom tach. Tach wire was white i think, i will have to check tomorrow to see what the 12v is

Array
    Status
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    Ok, thanks. Yeah any color help would be greatly appreciated!

Array
    Status
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    I just will echo what Skullzflare said. However, I will be doing the same wiring this weekend hopefully. I'm just making my own little harness for that four wired plug that goes to the injection pump. I am not totally sure what all they do but I am confident that one is the fuel cut off switch and another goes to your tachometer. I have a manual and will let you know when I get back from a wedding that I am out of town for.
    I'm puzzled on how you got the clutch master cylinder to operate with the cable when it is hydraulic? The cable ones I thought were all mechanically engaged and not hydraulically. What transmission are you using to drive it?
    Also for the glow plug relay box they were somewhat notorious for having some problems. You can bypass it entirely and it will be in your best interest. I have a switch in the cab that is powered when the key is turned on. It engages a solenoid switch that will take power directly from the battery to the glow plugs. That is a modification that has been done to a majority of the diesels that I've encountered and have heard about on the forum due to a failed, faulty, or inadequate heat produced for cold weather start up.

Array
    Status
    Boulder, CO
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55-T
    So, the vehicle previously had a mechanical clutch and cable master cylinder, I am using the 5spd that came with the engine which is hydraulic, so I had to purchase a master cylinder. So that is another fun piece of work for me to accomplish, retrofitting the clutch to actuate the master cylinder rather than a cable.

As for the glow plug box, after some research I did come to that same conclusion, to just use 12v plugs and run them to a switch.

The injector pump wiring is really my main issue now, since it is not a ram50 or mighty max I am pretty much working from scratch with the wiring nonsense. Every bit of input helps! Thanks!

Array
    Status
    Owensboro, KY
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D56-T
    There should be a small separate bit of wiring harbess with the pump. A wire for the tach, fuel shutoff, if it has the original harness there will also be one that goes to a temperature sensor in the head that works with the glow plugs, and there should be a ground that goes onto the head. Do you have any of the original pump wiring?

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    fuel solenoid is a single black with white stripe. Tach is a single plain white