Status
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4G63

4D55 Ram vs Ranger Starter?

Hello all,

Does anyone know the difference between a ford ranger 4D55 starter and ram50 4d55 starter? I am trying to swap in a 4D55 to a Raider with an automatic transmission… I tried to use the ranger starter, however the Bendix does not reach the fly wheel. It is off by quite a bit. Is the ram50 diesel starter longer?
    Thanks

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    There is a difference between the auto and manual starter motors. Starter motors can be confusing (with Mitsubishi stuff anyway...) when buying a replacement unit.

Array
    Status
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D55-T
    I have a 4d55 in an auto raider. The PO did the install and he flipped the gear on a mitsubishi manual trans starter. Works great in this instance, your mileage may vary.

Array
    Status
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4G63
    Quote Originally Posted by MainstreaM View Post
    I have a 4d55 in an auto raider. The PO did the install and he flipped the gear on a mitsubishi manual trans starter. Works great in this instance, your mileage may vary.
    Awesome. I appreciate the information. Perhaps there is a difference between the starters. You are the second person to tell me they did that. Only other thing I can think of is the flex plate spacer, I hope that isn’t the issue. I really don’t want to pull the engine that I just put in.

Array
    Status
    Chattanooga, TN
    Vehicle

1987 Mitsubishi Montero
    Engine

4D55-T
    I prefer an auto for offroad and having one behind the 4D55 is sweet but the gas torque converter and shift points aren't ideal. Little higher than I'm comfortable with but since the 4D series is a high revver, it's not as bad as it could be.

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    I am actually still running a starter for an automatic turbo 4g54, it's fine when it's nice out, hates me when it's cold. So far as long as I'm plugged in I'm fine.
    I have a d56 starter but the gear was wrong, I tried flipping it but never got the clip back in.
    It's sitting somewhere with no gear on it now somewhere