Thread: 1st gen disc upgrade

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The 'floating' bit is the part of the caliper that does all the work (the piston housing). It works similar to the fixed caliper but instead of the centre of the caliper moving on metal shims, they are on greased slide pins on top and bottom of the caliper mount sealed in with dust boots. And the first thing I did mention in my previous post that the swap requires the entire hub assembly from a Gen 2 -

"...So I took the plunge and bought a pair of Gen 2 steering hubs and rotors for my Gen 1 brake upgrade."

Mitsubishi was wise enough not to change the bolt pattern even though the brake design had changed. Simply a matter of removing the 2 x 17mm bolts holding the caliper mount on from the rear of the steering hub and the 10mm bolt holding the backing plate onto the end of the caliper mount, and the whole caliper can be pulled away from the hub. Not that you'll need to pull the Gen 1 calipers off if you are intending the brake swap, but it will make it lighter when you knock the steering hub off from the ball joints to remove it.
    Last edited by geezer101; 11-11-2017 at 12:18 AM.

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks Geez.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    You are faster than me geezer, Ive got a set of 2nd gen spindles and brakes sitting in the garage.

If I ever finish this rust work Il put them in

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    You are faster than me geezer, Ive got a set of 2nd gen spindles and brakes sitting in the garage.

If I ever finish this rust work Il put them in
    All I need to do now is find $459 to replace all the bushes and ball joints so the steering hubs have something to bolt up to That doesn't even factor in new brake hoses, shocks and tie rods...and then I can start work on the rear end. This poor biatch still had all the original factory assemblies in it. Getting the used Gen 2 hub assemblies has so far been the cheapest part of the front end - and that set me back $188 with the twin piston calipers. Let's get back to da thread now!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12