Array
    Status
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64

Need help. Carb to FI swap

First off I am new here but I have searched the forums to no avail with my current question.

Hi all I recently bought a 88 MM with a cracked head. Currently working to swap the head from a 94 MM onto my 4G64 bottom end that is in my truck (I know it should be a G63B, but its not. That's another topic.) Going from carb to FI I need help with fuel pump. Do I simply replace the old fuel pump with an electric one from a 94 MM? Is it a direct in-tank replacement? Has anyone done this swap that can help me out here?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the tanks are different - the 88 has the fittings on the side for fuel, whereas the 90 + truck tanks have the pump assembly go through the top of the tank. Get an inline pump for a starquest (starion / conquest) and put it on the output side of the fuel filter. Follow the instructions for the electric fuel pump install for a weber so you have the protection from fuel pumping when the truck quits running for any reason.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    the tanks are different - the 88 has the fittings on the side for fuel, whereas the 90 + truck tanks have the pump assembly go through the top of the tank. Get an inline pump for a starquest (starion / conquest) and put it on the output side of the fuel filter. Follow the instructions for the electric fuel pump install for a weber so you have the protection from fuel pumping when the truck quits running for any reason.
    Thanks for the info pennyman. I have access to a 94 parts truck, would the entire tank and fuel pump assembly bolt into my 88?

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Yes, will swap right over as long as 2wd-2wd, and single cab-single cab or the same. If one is a macro cab the tank wont work unless its going into another macro cab

Array
    Status
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by DroppedMitsu View Post
    Yes, will swap right over as long as 2wd-2wd, and single cab-single cab or the same. If one is a macro cab the tank wont work unless its going into another macro cab
    Thanks DroppedMitsu. I read your 4G63T Mighty Max thread and I must say, you have me wanting to do the same swap. Just have to talk the boss into letting me spend the money.

Array
    Status
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    One more question that I cannot find an answer to. Will the drivers side of the EFI engine harness connect to the truck harness under the dash on the drivers side? I have the ECU and MPI relay that will connect everything on the passenger side. I would really like it if there was no re-wiring required for this swap

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    I don't know/think so, there shouldn't really be much "engine" wiring that runs to that side as most of the engine harness goes to the ecu/mpi. I think its all a/c, lighting, fuse power, etc that comes in on the drivers side..

What parts of the engine harness goes that way that you can see since you have the harness already? I have only done swaps on the carb'd trucks and I don't really remember any of the engine harness running to the drivers side