Thread: Choice of Alternator (amperage)

Array
    Status
    Watertown, NY
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    That's a negative. Now I can't find a pulley to fit the Montero alternator.

Array
    Status
    Watertown, NY
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    They do not have the same size shaft. I had to bore out the center hole on the 2 discs (the pulley is 2 pieces). And then find a different bushings to go behind the pulley. And it seems to be fine. On a tight budget, so I had to use what I had. Just updating, If anyone else is looking to go with the Montero alternator on the 4g64.

Array
    Status
    Watertown, NY
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    The Montero alternator does NOT work. I tried putting it on last night. It doesn't fit. Now I've spent $75 that I didn't have on an alternator that I can't use. somewhere in these forums, someone said they did work. And they don't. So don't waste your time with one. I've screwed myself with it. And won't be able to drive my truck for a couple months now because of it.

Array
    Status
    New Zealand
    Vehicle

1981 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

Other
    In what way does it not fit out of curiosity?

Array
    Status
    Watertown, NY
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    You can get an alternator from a starquest ( 75 - 100 amp) expo van (75 amp) or later monteros (75 and up)
    Do not get one for the Montero 98 or newer.

Array
    Status
    Watertown, NY
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by tortron View Post
    In what way does it not fit out of curiosity?
    It sets back between an inch or 2. And the top alternator bracket is on the complete wrong side. And won't reach the belt adjuster bracker. I also had to modify my stock pulley just to fit on the shaft. And sand down the bottom bracket so it would fit the bottom.

Array
    Status
    Watertown, NY
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    15356595617921920901648980606048.jpg15356595617921920901648980606048.jpg also where the positive terminal comes out, you cannot get the oil dipstick into the dipstick tube.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiwarrior View Post
    The Montero alternator does NOT work. I tried putting it on last night. It doesn't fit. Now I've spent $75 that I didn't have on an alternator that I can't use. somewhere in these forums, someone said they did work. And they don't. So don't waste your time with one. I've screwed myself with it. And won't be able to drive my truck for a couple months now because of it.
    Is it an alternator out of a V6 Monty? That is a bad blow dude, sorry to hear it's set you back like that. I still think a Hyundai alternator will work so I'm gonna hit the far, far away land of U-Pull-It to verify one from a J series engine will work on a 4 cylinder Mitsu engine. They're easy to get.
    support the forum that supports you - join and donate to MightyRam50.Net today! donations unlock the edit function

Array
    Status
    Watertown, NY
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Screenshot_20180831-064800.jpg
    Yeah it's one out of a 3.5 liter. The ones older than 98 have a different top bracket. That one, I think will work. It also has a different positive terminal location.

Array
    Status
    Watertown, NY
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by Giovanni89 View Post
    Another option is to adapt a AC Delco 10si or 12si. I was able to do so on my G54B with a couple of spacers and brackets I made up. Still uses the same v belt. It's nothing fancy. I did also have to do a little cut and weld on the upper radiused bracket. The reason I went this route is that they are cheap
    Does anyone have a picture of of the 10si installed? I'm trying to get a different alternator and I want one that's gonna fit this time. I've got the 4g64, so idk how different they are. But I won't be able to make any brackets for it to make it work. So a direct bolt on that has a good price is my only option. Getting a different pigtail won't be a problem tho. Thank you!

Array
    Status
    Raymond New Hampshire, USA
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    I took a few photos when I did my timing chain a couple of months ago. The brackets are very simple. The only thing you would need is a drill, a hack saw, and some files. I had to cut and weld the top bracket, but I'm betting you could find one to fit from another car or truck.
    I didn't take a photo of it installed, I can do that later today. The wiring, i just cut the pigtail off of the 2 wires on the factory harness, and crimped on 2 spade terminals. You can buy 10/12si pigtails for just a few bucks to make it look a little nicer.
    I was able to retain the stock size fan belt also.
    10SI.jpg10SI2.jpg10SI3.jpg
    Ideally the lower bracket could have a connecting link so that the front and back are always clocked the same in relation to the timing cover. I was in a rush to get it back on the road so its 2 pieces plus 2 spacers. Crude, but It's been on there for over 50K miles with no problem
    Giovanni

Array
    Status
    Watertown, NY
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    Hmm, I wonder how different it is on my truck. I'll find out tonight. I hope I don't have to do any special brackets for it. I just want to be able to drive my truck again. Lol

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    Ahhh, I mixed this up with another thread. You don’t have a g54b. If you can fit one, 10si’s are everywhere and cheap

Array
    Status
    Watertown, NY
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    My top bracket is plenty long. So I don't think I'll have to modify that. But after raising it higher and putting brackets on the bottom, does it still adjust good, so you have a nice and tight belt? The brackets look really simple tho.

Array
    Status
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    my bottom pivot moved up about an inch. It's been raining pretty good the last few days, i'll get a picture soon of it installed. Belt is plenty tight. I stuff a prybar between the front engine cover (with a rag on the end) and alternator and just gently pull it it a bit to get it tight. I may have had to offset the upper bracket forward a bit.
    My Falcon has a 10si, my ram50 has one, and the f250 will get one. The availability, reliability, and power output are worth the effort in my opinion. I bought 2, and warrantied one, and they were always in stock at the auto zone. They are also the go to alternator for agricultural equipment. Pretty much any old tractor you see that has been converted to 12v or just gotten a new alternator, i can almost guarantee it's a 10si. Parts will always be readily available for them

Array
    Status
    Watertown, NY
    Vehicle

Engine

4G64
    I ended up going the starion route. It was a direct bolt on for the 4g64. (for anyone else having the same problem I had trying to find one that works.) I just need to get a new belt. Since the top bracket is in a different position, it makes the pulley closer to the engine. I put the old one I had on it for now to see how well it worked. My old alternator was putting out 12.6 volts. This one is putting out 14.6. So I won't have to worry about it not charging the battery well enough. ��
    Thanks everyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12