Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B

DIY air breather

I noticed the other day that the air filter on the Weber was starting to look pretty ratty so I went online to source one. The filters are almost $20 and the shipping cost to Canada is brutal. I decided to try and make a simple breather to fit a stock filter on the Weber.
    I spray glued a piece of paper on to a piece of 0.080" aluminum sheet and traced the holes from the Weber breather on to it. I then found the centre of the bolt pattern and drew a circle just a bit bigger than the round filter. I used a jigsaw with a bi-metal blade to cut it out. I then cut out another circle the same size for the top.
    The 5/16" threaded rods are 3-3/4" long and double nutted to the bottom. I clamped the two circles together to drill the holes to just inside where the inside edge of the filter will be, and then drilled the holes in the top to 11/32" for a bit of clearance.
    I put some weather stripping foam tape on the aluminum where the filter sits for extra sealing and it looks pretty tight. I got all the stuff to make it from the scrap bin at work so it cost $0.

Array
    Status
    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy 2 View Post
    I noticed the other day that the air filter on the Weber was starting to look pretty ratty so I went online to source one. The filters are almost $20 and the shipping cost to Canada is brutal. I decided to try and make a simple breather to fit a stock filter on the Weber.
    I spray glued a piece of paper on to a piece of 0.080" aluminum sheet and traced the holes from the Weber breather on to it. I then found the centre of the bolt pattern and drew a circle just a bit bigger than the round filter. I used a jigsaw with a bi-metal blade to cut it out. I then cut out another circle the same size for the top.
    The 5/16" threaded rods are 3-3/4" long and double nutted to the bottom. I clamped the two circles together to drill the holes to just inside where the inside edge of the filter will be, and then drilled the holes in the top to 11/32" for a bit of clearance.
    I put some weather stripping foam tape on the aluminum where the filter sits for extra sealing and it looks pretty tight. I got all the stuff to make it from the scrap bin at work so it cost $0.
    take any pics by any chance? mine is starting to look a little run down also

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Power Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    image1.JPG
    I tried to attach this pic before but it would not upload. Perhaps the site was too busy at the time.

Array
    Status
    clarksville, arkansas
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    what carb did you put that on?

Array
    Status
    Vanessa, Ontario
    Vehicle