Thread: Which stereo install kits fit best?

Array
    Status
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G64B

Which stereo install kits fit best?

Hello,

I'm finally putting a cheap stereo in my 1995 Mighty Max as it came without one (and no brackets or trim). So, I was wondering what aftermarket kits have been used that fit well. I don't have the mounting brackets, so the kit would have to include those.
    Oh, I'm going with a single din stereo, so a kit with the tray underneath is preferable, but I did get what appears to be a factory tray.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Why not use the factory head unit location and open it up to accommodate the single din unit? You can buy universal single din mounting cages off ebay. Most are UK based but there are US suppliers as well. Other option is go to a JY and pull a cage out from a wreck. The single din head units have all the same external dimensions and installing them is easy - just a matter of bending the cage tabs to clamp it into place. What brand of head unit have you bought - there might be an off-the-shelf option.

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    On the 2nd gen, the radio mount is pretty basic. Just 4 holes in the plastic dash fascia. It's not very sturdy. The factory mounting brackets are what really gives it structure. The brackets also tie into the metal frame that the plastic dash fascia attaches to.

Let me know if you need a template for the factory brackets. A very generous friend hooked me up with some OEM brackets. I can pull them back out and make some cardboard templates or something.

Array
    Status
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff V. View Post
    On the 2nd gen, the radio mount is pretty basic. Just 4 holes in the plastic dash fascia. It's not very sturdy. The factory mounting brackets are what really gives it structure. The brackets also tie into the metal frame that the plastic dash fascia attaches to.

Let me know if you need a template for the factory brackets. A very generous friend hooked me up with some OEM brackets. I can pull them back out and make some cardboard templates or something.
    Thanks, but you don't have to pull them. I'm guessing the brackets are the same as some other Mitsubishis with the double din, Montero sport or Starion. The local LKQ has some Montero sports there, I might run over and pull some brackets.

There are universal kits with plastic brackets like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331853182801...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

but I'm not sure how well it would fit.

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    The part numbers only interchange with other 2nd gen Mighty Max and Ram 50. It might be possible to modify something else to fit, but nothing else seems to be a direct swap.

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    I had to pull the radio to fix a problem with my heater controls, so I took a couple pics while it was out. Hopefully it helps.

It's odd that I'm using OEM brackets with an OEM 93 3000GT radio, but only two of the holes line up. Mitsubishi stuff is pretty standard from 1990 until ~2004 when they started going to the model specific faceplate garbage along with most of the other OEMs.

RadioBracket.jpgRadioMount.jpg

Array
    Status
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    Thanks. I'll let everyone know if I find a compatible bracket. Hopefully, I'll get to LKQ this weekend.

Array
    Status
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    So, I made it to LKQ today. Here are my findings: a Montero Sport bracket (2000+) will definitely not fit as there is a step between the top screw hole and the bottom screw hole for mounting the bracket.
    3000gt, 2g and 3g Eclipses appear like the brackets would fit (screw holes appear to be in the correct mounting location), but all of these radios were already taken along with the brackets (big market for these?).
    I did grab a pair of Galant (2000+) single din brackets that will work for me (single din radio). They screw in fine at the bottom screw hole location in the dash and fit well. If you wanted to mount a single din radio in the top location, you would just have to shave off a little bit of the outside of the screw tab on the bracket (1/4" inch ish).

If anyone wants pics of this, let me know. It'll be a little while before I install the radio, as i plan on taking the dash out to fix some wiring.

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    3000GT brackets are a similar shape, but they won't work. They flanges aren't wide enough on the front where the screws go.

I'd be careful with the Galant brackets. The plastic dash is carrying the whole weight of the radio. The notch in the rear of the factory brackets slides over a metal frame further back in the dash. That helps to carry the weight of the radio and reduces the fatigue on the plastic.

Array
    Status
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    3000GT brackets are a similar shape, but they won't work. They flanges aren't wide enough on the front where the screws go.

I'd be careful with the Galant brackets. The plastic dash is carrying the whole weight of the radio. The notch in the rear of the factory brackets slides over a metal frame further back in the dash. That helps to carry the weight of the radio and reduces the fatigue on the plastic.
    It will work for me because of the radio I'm going to use. I'm just using a Pioneer digital media player with Bluetooth, no CD player, it's the smallest and lightest car stereo I've ever seen. I still do plan on adding some support though.

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

Engine

6G72
    That's cool. I just didn't want to see you with a cracked dash. These things aren't getting any younger.

Array
    Status
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle

1993 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    Hey how did this install turn out? Like some images please, thanks

Array
    Status
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    I have the dash out. What was suppose to be a simple wire fix has turned into an interior overhaul with new carpet, Montero Sport bucket seats/seat belts and the like. I knew I was probably going to replace the carpet, but when I lifted out up and took out the dash, I found enough and and crap everywhere that I figured I do everything I could while it was taken apart.

Array
    Status
    Tampa, FL
    Vehicle

Engine

G64B
    *sand and crap... not and and crap. The truck was filthy.

Array
    Status
    Yuma vArizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G54B
    check on e bay they sell the harness also makes installation lots easier i bought a single din mount kit was around 7.00

Array
    Status
    Sacramento CA
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4G61

2nd Gen Stereo Double din

Hey there, saw you reply in a thread and am hoping you may be able to help!

I have been in love with these little trucks and just got an 88 ram50.
    I have it all wired up and ready for a double din, but I dont have anything to mount it to/with.

You mentioned being able to trace a template or something? Did the car originally have them? Should I try salvaged yards?

Thanks!