Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64

A Royster Shell

Someone gave me an old aluminum camper shell that had been sitting in their garage for years. It's not a perfect fit, but it isn't a bad one, either.

DSC00765.JPG

Looking ever-so 70's, there's not much I can do to improve the lines on this thing. It was a cheap production shell back when it was made. That's not to "look a gift horse in the mouth", that's simply stating facts. I need to be able to carry my 28-foot ladder, so I planned the same modification I performed on my F-150 fiberglass shell.

Much of the plastic trim, that covered up the screws holding the skin to the frame, deteriorated. I'm using 3/4" plastic screen bead, glued first to the heads of those screws, then will caulk the seams before painting. I'll let the photos speak for themselves.

DSC00793.JPG DSC00794.JPG DSC00795.JPG

DSC00796.JPG DSC00797.JPG DSC00799.JPG

I'm using LockTite adhesives (available at Lowe's) and sealers, which are about the best you can find. After a failed attempt to get the curve of the top transferred to a 2 x 4, I decided to make a template from the rear aluminum strip. It worked perfectly.

The top will be painted with truck bed liner paint, the sides will be Dupli-Color metalic black...same as I painted the rims and bumpers. Not sure what color on the trim, but that's a day or so away. Feel free to make suggestions. (About the trim color )

More photos tomorrow...in part, thanks to RagRagTimeTime...
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    The front window had some issues, so I tried cleaning around the trim, only to decide to just take the thing OUT. When I did, I realised I could put it back in from inside the shell, and this gives about a 1/2 inch I can move it forward on the truck bed. 1/2" is exactly how much the shell sticks out beyond the tailgate. This might allow a perfect fit, front-to-rear. Photo below also shows expanding foam across the top cross bar (ladder rack).

DSC00804.JPG

I used LockTite sealer and metal duct tape to secure the aluminum skin. This side of the shell isn't seen, so I'm just going to paint it the truck bed paint. I also removed the bottom flange. I'll see what I need when I do a fitting, but I should be able to snug this right up to the cab and create a boot between the cab and shell.

DSC00805.JPG

There is a horrible blind spot when the shell is on the truck. I bought a piece of plexiglass and will have an additional window before it's all said-and-done.

DSC00806.JPG DSC00808.JPG

The side windows were easy enough to take out, so I can re-hab those on the counter. It was frickin' light as can be. Below, it's tilted up to allow easy removal of excess expanding foam, touch up glue, and wipe down everything.

DSC00807.JPG

Around 4:00 I was pretty tired, so I left it looking like this...for now:

DSC00808.JPG
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Nice work Roy. As always, a bit of lateral thinking can do wonders.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    The website isn't letting me download photos. I
    ll try again later.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by royster View Post
    The website isn't letting me download photos. I
    ll try again later.
    Okay, photos of the finished product. If anyone's interested in the construction, just let me know.

I hate that diamond pattern, but had to get this thing in service. Perhaps next Spring I can cover them with flat panels. But for now, this is what I have.

DSC00839.JPG DSC00840.JPG DSC00841.JPG

The little window I added on the side really works great to eliminate that blind spot. Cosmetics be damned : I wanna SEE!

DSC00843.JPG

On the interior I experimented with "stone" paint...it spatters some four different colors. It worked well, and although it isn't finished, here's how it looks. Also, the window mounted from the inside indeed gave me a perfect fit. I mounted a foam gasket between the shell and truck, and it works fine.

DSC00844.JPG

The lumber rack I had on there had clamps that fit the sides of the shell adequately. The two c-clamps in the front are temporary...until I can locate some shell clamps. I really don't want to drill holes to bolt it down.

From some angles, the damn thing looks like a hearse. From other angles, it looks like the old flip-side lunch trucks. There's no bringing a 1980's item to look "today", but it at least has a better look...and I have a ladder rack.
    Last edited by royster; 11-27-2016 at 05:03 PM.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    The 'stone' paint goes a long way into hiding cosmetic glitches - the diamond panels aren't that bad IMO. And now you can haul gear without it getting wet or 'borrowed'!

Array
    Status
    sheffield, vt
    Vehicle

1978 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G63B
    if you haven't already created a "boot" between the cab & shell there is an inflatable available. unsure of your 2nd gen size...(feel free to make comments) here's a "search start" link:

http://www.trailfx.com/truk-boot.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Truck-cap-To...-/321830573657

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    I appreciate that, RRTT. I was able to create a seal using a "rope" insulation and mounting tape. I essentially made an eyebrow that snugged up against the cab window. It hasn't been subjected to rain, yet, but tomorrow it certainly will. I have a good seal between the shell and bed. It's my hope to put some nice carpet back there, but I want to be sure it remains dry.

On a personal note: you see your camera is still giving me good service! I still thank you every time I use it.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    Quote Originally Posted by royster View Post
    I was able to create a seal using a "rope" insulation and mounting tape.
    Hope you can see it...

DSC00845.JPG

And final photos. The shell is subjected to rain today, and isn't leaking a bit. I call it "A Day".

DSC00846.JPG DSC00847.JPG DSC00848.JPG

DSC00849.JPG