Thread: Johnboy72 is back for a short time

Array
    Status
    Carthage, Ny
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50

Johnboy72 is back for a short time

Hey guys, I'm back but only for a short time. I'm now up here in Ft. Drum, NY....finally home. Brought the Macrocab with me but now I'm trying to either sell it, part it out/scrap it or race it on the local oval track. So I'll poke my head around here some and see what's up here on the new site.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Is this the same johnboy from the old board??
    Members come and members go, But the board keeps track of them.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Or look on YouTube Click Here.
    http://mobilemillwright.com

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Never mind,,,, it is..... Adjustments are being made to your account to make you correct. Welcome back....
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Carthage, Ny
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Thanks man. Yeah, it's me. Have been pretty busy and the truck continues to sit. However a local guy up this way keeps trying to convince me to turn the Macrocab into an oval truck. My cousin in law is trying to convince me into buying one of his street stocks. AGH. So figured I'd get on here to help figure out what to do with this truck!

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I'll get to work on your avatar soon. Get it resized and moved over for you.
    Build it out to be an oval truck but keep it street legal. Who in there right mind would not want to drive a race truck to pick up a 6 pack and some burgers. It's the best of both worlds. Hell I got people looking to pay me for a ride when mine is done. I hope to fire up this spring. The body is on it's way. I will have fiberglass kits available soon. Bed sides and one peace hood fenders.
    Last edited by camoit; 09-17-2011 at 07:00 PM.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Carthage, Ny
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    I saw your updates...pretty impressive. However with funds being tight, I'm sure if I sell off all the air ride stuff and factory pieces, I might be able to fund some of this. I have spare hoods, doors and fenders. If I sell off the interior pieces and the spare parts, I think I can pay for at least the rebuild kit. Then it's gutting the truck, removing as much of the bed as possible, etc. If they won't let me run at the local dirt oval against the 4cyl cars, I'll keep the windshield in it and run the asphalt oval in the truck class. I just wish I could find a compact truck cage kit to get my hoops. It will help save some time.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Something like this??? It's for an s-10 but I bet it would fit. Just need to find an S-10 and measure it. I was thinking about doing that.
    http://cachassisworks.com/c-112-truck-chassis-kits.aspx
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Carthage, Ny
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Problem is the door bars. The main hoops would probably work. We have enough people up this way to make it happen from scratch. Big thing I'm concerned with is the wheelbase. The actual truck class at the asphalt track is run with standard cab shortbeds. The 4 cyl class at the dirt oval are mostly Saturns and a few Neons. I'm just concerned I might be too long. Shorter wheelbase would probably react better to adjustments and rotate better in the turns so I believe.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    That is the only small truck chaise I have ever found for the street. Or there is the pro light. http://www.uweld.com/
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Carthage, Ny
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    The doors need three cross bars. My cousin in law and his brother state they've built their own cages before. However after breaking up a fight a couple of weeks ago, I've made some good friends that I'm sure I can turn to to help get the cage built.

Array
    Status
    Carthage, Ny
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Here's what I posted over at HRCS.

Tired of seeing the Macrocab sit and I want to go racing. Now if money wasn't tight, I'd buy a street stock off my cousin in law. But money is tight. A friend that works on two 4bangers for a local track continues to tell me to run the truck class with the little ram. We have two local tracks. One is a dirt track (3/8ths I believe) and the other is asphalt. Currently there are trucks running at the asphalt track but the dirt track (where we run the street stocks) is very vague in their 4cyl class. I'm almost convinced if I sell off the air ride stuff and the parts not needed, I can fund putting this truck together for the track. But I have my concerns regarding wheelbase. I would think that a shorter WB would result in better reactions to adjustments and rotate better in the corners. The asphalt's truck class is all standard cab trucks. Mostly S10 and Rangers. There is a Mazda and a Mighty Max running. I'm just unsure how the macrocab would stack up against them. On the dirt track, the 4 bangers are dominated by the Saturn, mostly S series 4 doors and a couple of decent running Neons. Here's what I'm finding so far.

Mighty Max/Ram 50
    Reg. Cab Short Bed: 105.1 in (2,670 mm)
    Reg. Cab Long Bed & Extended Cab: 116.1 in (2,949 mm)
    Sport: 105.5 in (2,680 mm)

1979–1989 2.6 L 4G54 I4, SOHC, 105 hp (78 kW) I currently have a turbo block and can run it as a NA.
    1990–1993 2.4 L 4G64 I4, 116 hp (87 kW) 300D has a 2.4 drivetrain sitting at the house and wondering this route. I believe the guy currently running a Max is running a 2.4 from what I heard and isn't a top three truck. But that could be due to set up too.

S10
    108.3 in (2,751 mm) (reg. cab short bed)
    117.9 in (2,995 mm) (reg. cab long bed)

1982–1985 2.8 L LR2 60° V6, 2 barrel Rochester 110 hp (82 kW) 148 lb·ft (201 N·m) B
    1985–1990 2.5 L LN8 Iron Duke TBI I4, 92 hp (69 kW) 132 lb·ft (179 N·m) E
    1983–1984 2.0 L LQ2 I4, 2 barrel 84 hp (63 kW) 101 lb·ft (137 N·m) Y
    1990–1993 2.5 L L38 Iron Duke I4, TBI 105 hp (78 kW) 135 lb·ft (183 N·m) A, E

Ford Ranger
    107.9 in (2,741 mm)
    113.9 in (2,893 mm)

1983-1988: 2.0 L OHC I4 72hp
    1983-1992: 2.3 L OHC I4 86hp

Now for the dirt cars
    Saturn S series
    SL & SW: 102.4 in (2,601 mm)
    SC: 99.2 in (2,520 mm)
    Original SL1 SOHC 1.9 L I4 LK0 engine rated at 85 hp (63 kW)
    SL2 trim DOHC 1.9 L I4 LL0 engine rated at 124 hp (92 kW)

Looks like that's about it on those. I can post up the rules too if anyone wants to add their two cents. Looks like it might be close but we'll see. Any advice, info, etc would be greatly accepted.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    I'm not sure how long the pro light is but there big in off road and have there own class now. There a short wheel base and center of gravity is good. The only bad thing about racing is it's expensive and you tear your shit up. I'll just have mine set up to win the Rat Race. I'll let the Honda cars be the air bag. Then there insurance can pay me to rebuild it.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Carthage, Ny
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Well I'm sure I'll be hanging new sheet metal every year and fixing some stuff here and there. But I'll have the satisfaction of enjoying using the truck.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy72 View Post
    Well I'm sure I'll be hanging new sheet metal every year and fixing some stuff here and there. But I'll have the satisfaction of enjoying using the truck.
    Oh ya man.. you put it in the round-D-round track and it's going to get pinched. I'm just in to deep, and to long, to tear mine up in a race. But Vorra has given me the green flag to run in practice laps but not in the mains. $150.00 to run on the track. During practice guys will respect you and not Nerf the hell out of you. They know that the truck suspension is undergoing it's set up. I just can't afford to have this happen. The truck class is 3500 LBs I'm looking to be under 1500 LBs

Last edited by SubGothius; 01-25-2023 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Fixed broken image link
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle

1986 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Chevy V6
    Johnny, welcome back to the states soldier!

Array
    Status
    Carthage, Ny
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Thanks Rick. Oh just an update, they won't let me run with cars....safety issue and not competitive...whatever. So looks like asphalt oval.

Array
    Status
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle

1979 Dodge D-50
    Engine

Chevy V6
    What do they say about starting your own class. With Vorra it's 3 cars and you can have one.
    Find me on FaceBook
    clicking HERE.

Array
    Status
    Carthage, Ny
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50
    Seriously doubt we'd make any room with starting a new class. I'm gonna see what we can't make happen.

Array
    Status
    Carthage, Ny
    Vehicle

1988 Dodge Ram 50

Here's a shot of the truck running up at Evan's Mills. I'm trying to get in touch with him to find out what drivetrain he's running.