Array
    Status
    west point, ny
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

G63B

New guy, 89 MM no crank/no start

Hey there, new owner here. Bought this from my friend, who bought it from another friend who had planned to 4g63 swap. That never materialized, so I picked it up as a daily. When my friend owned it, the timing belt let go, killing the head. They swapped a used one on, and it's run well since. About 2 weeks ago, he started it, and next time he went to move it, no start. I did bumpstart it, and drove it home about 30 miles.

I did do a search and found some helpful threads, but some of the details were lost on me. Some more specifics. When I turn the key to on, I hear a click from the general driver side fenderwall location. Turn key to start, and nothing. The dash lights do appear to dim when I turn the key, and the radio will momentarily turn off like in a normal start situation. I read about jumping the ignition switch, I'm not sure which contacts on the switch to jump though.

My Ignition Switch fusible link also looked like a complete mess, insulation completely smoked off. Based on the corrosion, the insulation has been gone for a while. The wire itself appeared complete though, and it ohm'd reasonably. I did build a new one using spades and link wire, but still no start. I got under the truck, and jump the main battery post to the ground post, and the starter spun. Should I be jumping 12v to the spade connector to properly test? I also hooked a jumper cable direct from the battery positive to the starter positive, but nothing.

Array
    Status
    west point, ny
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B

Array
    Status
    west point, ny
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    The poor sad fusible link.
    received_10100473460019584_zpsrguetyok.jpeg

Array
    Status
    miami, fl
    Vehicle

1991 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    is the truck auto or manual ? neutral safety switch ? clutch pedal depress ?
    mine wouldn't start from the key and i didn't want to troubleshoot at the time
    there is a small wire near the battery that i pulled the connector, and just use a short piece of wire to the +ve
    starts every time
    on old corollas you could get a 12v reading at the solenoid engage signal(small) wire, but wouldn't roll over
    i swiped an old relay and wired it to trigger the solenoid.... key start fixed for good
    did to a few of my corollas. Dunno if old mitsus suffered the same

Array
    Status
    west point, ny
    Vehicle

Engine

G63B
    Manual.

Did some more troubleshooting, spaded connector at the starter is getting 12v. Jumpered the hot 12v to the spade directly, got some sparks but no juice. Pretty sure the solenoid is no good, just going to get a starter from Autozone.