Array
    Status
    NW mississippi yall
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Dodge V8

'86 2.6 swap for 2.0??

Hey guys n gals. I'm thinking of putting a 2.0 (if I can find a complete engine) in my '86 that's got a 2.6.
    Also, its' an auto and was even thinking if a car 2.0 would work (again, if I can find a complete motor)

I just could never get good mileage at all with the 2.6 and its' so stinkin clean, I might just drive it (especially if Hillary gets in..
    GAS will sky-rocket)

Thanks E

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    If you're getting garbage mpg and want to keep the engine, install a 32/36 Weber carb. The Mikuni is notorious for being lousy on fuel economy and it's not a forgiving thing to repair or rebuild. The Weber 32/36 is one of the most popular and simple upgrades you can use on these engines. Way better fuel economy and a usable increase in HP. The Astron 2.6 engine responds well to aftermarket headers, and mods like balance shaft deletions and port work will bring out the best of the Weber carb.
    Look it up on the forum here - http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...10-Weber-32-36

But before taking the plunge and buying one there are pitfalls to avoid as a first timer - http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...carb-Becareful!!!!!!!!!!!!

Array
    Status
    Vacaville, CA
    Vehicle

1989 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G63-T
    Be aware that if you do the swap your tranny will not bolt up to the 2.0 unless you happen to find a wide block 2.0, but most are narrow blocks.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    86 2.6 auto and 2.0 are all narrow block motors - only the 2.6 manual is a wide block in 86.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    NW mississippi yall
    Vehicle

Engine

Dodge V8
    Geezer-- I did that swap years ago..
    What I did back then was have Schnieder regrind my cam (with springs) but didn't think that it mattered about the ROLLER rockers (thought they were the same ratio) that I used. Ported Clear water head, Header, "trimmed" Conquest intake, EGR delete etc..
    JUST A DOG.. and if I was lucky, only got around 16mpg. Ended up modding another Quest intake and mounted a rochester carb. Just idles a bit high around 1200. NO VACUUM LEAKS.. (can't find any by spraying carb cleaner)
    And by it being a 3 spd, drinks gas.

Gotta jet off..

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Looks like you did a fairly comprehensive build. Yeah old school autos aren't a good mix for economy. Not everyone has had raving success with Weber installs either. You could use a G63B engine but I think the flex plate/flywheel is the hurdle to get over unless you're prepared to do a full drivetrain swap and go manual (a lot of work...)

Array
    Status
    NW mississippi yall
    Vehicle

Engine

Dodge V8
    I have a couple options.
    ONE- is a '88 Conquest auto (wide block) 4spd/overdrive
    TWO- is an auto that came from a '87 Mitsubishi truck
    THREE- is to stay with the A904 3spd.

I've been told and read that they are both a worthy transmission and capable of turbo applications, BUT getting even ONE of them rebuilt far exceeds the price I paid for the truck itself..

OR, a G61t that's been sitting in my shop for almost 8yrs

Another option would be to find a early, low mileage Diplomat 'granny car' and drop a 318/4spd auto in...

E

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the conquest 2.6 / auto would be worthy - it would need a shorter driveshaft and tranny crossmember mods, but the economy with the OD gear would be worth it.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980