Status
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55

Fuel Pressure?

Hi,

About to install an in-line fuel pressure gauge on my 4d55, but can't find any info on what proper PSI to be looking for.

Does anyone have info on this?

Cheers

Array
    Status
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle

1984 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

4D55-T
    When you say "in-line", which line are you referring to? The pressure from the fuel pump to the injectors is going to be going to very different, and much higher than, the pressure between the tank and the fuel filter.

Array
    Status
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55
    Placed it in between fuel filter and injection pump. Just seemed to make sense that it go there.

Array
    Status
    Inwood WV
    Vehicle

1991 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

4D56-T
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmuirhead9 View Post
    Placed it in between fuel filter and injection pump. Just seemed to make sense that it go there.
    As far as i am aware, there is no needed lift pump, so if you dont have a lift pump it wont read anything. I have run my 4d56 with no left pump, injection pump only. I do have a little clicker pump though

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55
    No need for a pressure gauge on the pump supply line, although the Bosch pump does require 5-7 psi. The injection pump will definitely benefit having a lift pump installed. The purpose of the primary internal transfer pump is to supply internal pressure to the injection pump and not to pull fuel from the tank. Transfer, lift, and supply pumps are designed to push not pull.

Array
    Status
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55
    On the rangers there is a stock lift pump along the frame...So if there's no need for a gauge on the IP supply line, where would you put the gauge? I'm getting a reading of 3 PSI, which I saw someone else post on a forum this engine only requires 2-3 PSI...

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1984 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4D55
    The test plan for the Bosch VE pump calls for 5-7 psi at the inlet port. The pump was NOT designed to pull fuel from the supply tank. The two causes of failure to the VE pump are water in the fuel and fuel starvation. You should still be OK with 3 psi but I would not go below 3psi.

Array
    Status
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle

1986 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4D55
    So my mechanic took a look, and seemed to think that even with the lift pump running, since the IP is pulling more pressure than the lift pump is pushing it's reading 0...he seemed to think that it could be the wrong lift pump, but it's what lordco gave us, and same part # on rockauto....He seemed to think that it was fine anyways, but I'm a little skeptical. Thoughts?