Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other

'90 Ram 50 accessory outlet?

Other than the cigarette lighter, does the '90 Ram 50 have a 12-volt accessory outlet? I can't find one. Got this nifty little thingy that you can plug into a lighter socket or accessory outlet and it tells you how you charging system is working.

Thanks!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    there are no other outlets - accessory outlets are a recent thing. they can be added by splicing into the one for the cigarette lighter.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    San Jose, Costa Rica
    Vehicle

1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

Other
    Pennyman1

What about the radio blue/white wire behind the radio?

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    I'm going to replace that pointless little clock in the dash with a USB panel and a volt meter. Got one for $7 on eBay. Even if you don't have the clock, there's still a 4 pin connector hiding behind the little storage pocket. It's got wires for both switched and constant power. They're pretty heavy gauge too.

Array
    Status
    Maurertown, Virginia
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge D-50
    Engine

4G64
    One of those prongs in the connector is for dash lighting. It illuminates the clock (if you have one) but I used it for extra night lighting on my console.
    The greatest gift you have to give to the world is that of your own self~transformation.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    the lighter lead is the only wire with the current capacity to power things. I would not try to use other "hot" wires you find as accessory power in a 26 year old wiring harness.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Kansas City, MO
    Vehicle

1992 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

6G72
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1
    the lighter lead is the only wire with the current capacity to power things. I would not try to use other "hot" wires you find as accessory power in a 26 year old wiring harness.
    The lighter, radio, and clock are all powered off the same switched ignition circuit, via a 15 amp fuse. It's one shared 18 gauge wire all the way through. The 'hot at all times' power circuit for the radio and clock memory is 16 gauge wire, with a 10 amp fuse.

Just for the hell of it, I compared it to the schematic for a 2010 EvoX. (I have a ton of service manuals) The accessory port is on its own 15 amp fused circuit, but has 20 gauge wiring.

USB devices charge at between 0.5 amps and 2.1 amps.

As long as your harness isn't damaged or poorly repaired, it should be fine. I'm far more concerned about this truck having virtually zero crash structure than I am about potentially burning it down because I plugged in a phone charger.

With that said, anyone who is going to be powering a lot of stuff at once should definitely look into a wiring upgrade. But that's true with any car or truck.

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by pennyman1 View Post
    there are no other outlets - accessory outlets are a recent thing. they can be added by splicing into the one for the cigarette lighter.
    Well, that's a bummer, pennyman1. Guess I'll have to try and splice. Thanks for responding!

Array
    Status
    United States
    Vehicle

1990 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Other
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff V. View Post
    I'm going to replace that pointless little clock in the dash with a USB panel and a volt meter. Got one for $7 on eBay. Even if you don't have the clock, there's still a 4 pin connector hiding behind the little storage pocket. It's got wires for both switched and constant power. They're pretty heavy gauge too.
    Thank you!

Array
    Status
    Huachuca City Arizona
    Vehicle

1987 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

Chevy V8
    I was going to reply a couple of days ago but couldn’t access my photos. I added a second outlet on my 87 ram 50 next to the hole where the clock goes. The wiring in the plug behind the clock (or storage compartment insert) is more than adequate for things like a GPS, cell phone charger etc, although I don’t know if I’d trust it enough to actually use a lighter in it.

It has worked out really well for me as it gives you a shelf to set the phone or whatever on and keep the wires out of the way.