Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

What is this part?

I got an OE air cleaner which I am trying to modify for the Weber carb. I'll report once I get it done. I need to be able to get filters for it if I can make it fit. I figure the round filters will be simple to find.
    The part I want to find is number 1. It is the filter that sits inside that metal piece mounted on the side of the air cleaner. I can't find it on a straight air cleaner or filter search so I need the right name for that filter.
    There is also a piece of fibrous stuff that catches oil from the valve cover hose. I need to know what that stuff is called.

air cleaner.jpg

Array
    Status
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle

1980 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

I.D.K.?
    I don't know what that's called either but I'll be watching this thread with interest. I want my OEM air cleaner on my Weber as well

Array
    Status
    blackwood, nj
    Vehicle

1995 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
    Engine

4G64
    its the breather filter

Array
    Status
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle

1980 Plymouth Arrow Truck
    Engine

I.D.K.?

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Thanks that is the fibrous stuff Haruman. I got this part number from the MB dealer today for the filter. I haven't searched it yet- MD604887
    Edit
    He quoted me $26 and change. I have just found one online from http://www.mitsubishipartssource.com...ishi_StockCode
    I think there might be cheaper out there.
    Last edited by 85Ram50; 10-26-2016 at 04:26 PM.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    don't go that route - get the breather media from a 70's Ford car - it should be about a dollar, and there Is enough for 2 changes. It is what I used to use in Geronimo when he had the stock air cleaner.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    OK Pennyman good to know about the Ford breather media.
    I am probably going to get the side filter since it will be sucking air through that side. IDK where the hose from that side port goes maybe I'll be able to hook it up but even hooked up it required a hose?

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    where is the side port you are talking about located? need more info to help.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    In the diagram in my first post it is one of the parts marked number 1. The last one at the bottom is the replaceable filter.
    I think the filter I linked to fits it but I just noticed the diagram they have is marked 87-89.

The breather media fits in a slot that is inside the hose port near the arm of the cleaner that extends toward the intake hose. You can see it in Post #1 at this link. The picture is "not perfect"
    http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...1684#post51684

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    So I am mistaken. According to Knecht's this filter I put the link to in post #5 is actually called the breather filter (props bobbyk) and they cannot get it. Where would that hose connect to? Other stores might have the filter I haven't tried yet. I took the cleaner in to get the plug for that threaded hole. I asked about Ford breather media and he looked confused.
    So the stuff I am calling the breather connection is ??? By the bend in the hose that was on this cleaner when I got it this other spot goes to the vent out the top of the valve cover which I was calling the breather tube. Shrug.
    The media that was in it is ok to reuse since I have cleaned it with carb cleaner but it would be nice to know so I can get new. The stuff the Knecht's guy showed me was not dense enough.
    Last edited by 85Ram50; 10-28-2016 at 06:50 PM.

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    On Geronimo in 1980, that breather went to a fitting at the front of the head below the valve cover. On the 85, it should go to the fitting on the back of the valve cover. Instead of looking for the breather media, get a small filter and put it on that fitting, unless you are in cali - then use this: FORD 1977 LTD 5.8L 351cid V8 Emission Crankcase Breather Element from rockauto.
    Pennyman1

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    OK that PCV breather stuff is basically the same stuff the kid at Knecht's showed me today. I'll look and take pics of my valve cover just to see if you can see anything. My PCV is on the top front and connected to the base of the carb and the top back of the valve cover I think is the breather that connects to where this fibrous stuff goes at least by the way the hose that it came with is shaped.
    Here is a better diagram. Number 3 is the filter I am trying to get. I may see if I can get a cap for that hose connection removing the need for a filter there. That filter at the link costs more to ship than the price of the filter same at other online MB sites. Only one prices delivery at $9 and change.
    better diagram.jpg

Array
    Status
    Earth, the Solar System
    Vehicle

1985 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Pennyman I got the LTD breather stuff and cut it in half to use. $4
    I found that the Fram part number for the Breather Filter is CA6594 and a search brought it up on RockAuto for less than $3! Seems like it has to have this filter to seal as I noticed the rubber edges of it seal the top and bottom of the encasing steel otherwise it would be sucking air/dirt through there.
    Got 2 of them, the round air filter and a bunch of brake stuff I have been putting off for no good reason. Pretty much everything but new calipers and hoses. I'll see when I dig in if I should replace those. I'm at 111000ish Original miles. EDIT I realized it was stupid not to replace them so I ordered calipers, rotors and hoses to make sure all the replaceable parts are new. $37 core charge on each caliper!.
    Last edited by 85Ram50; 10-29-2016 at 11:06 AM.