Array
    Status
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B

Ignition problem, blowing ballast resistors

I'm having ignition problems with my 1989 Dodge Ram 50, 2.0. I keep blowing ballast resistors at low speed.

I just purchased the truck recently. The elderly gentleman I purchased it from said he never had any problems. He did recently replace the ignition coil so I assumed that was the issue. I pulled the coil and the primary resistance is 1.1 ohms and the secondary resistance is 11.8 kilohms. I saw here (http://www.mightyram50.net/vbulletin...+2+0L+and+2+6L) that the secondary should be 1.08-1.32 kilohms but all the parts listed for it are in the 11 kilohms range.

Which resistance is right? And could the coil be bad even if the resistance is correct? Any other thoughts on what could be causing the resistor to blow?

Thanks!

Array
    Status
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle

1980 Dodge D-50
    Engine

G54B
    what do you mean by blowing the resistor - is it going open? Is it the right resistance - it should be 0.8 ohms.
    Pennyman1
    The best Dodge that Dodge never made
    Living the D-50 lifestyle since 1980

Array
    Status
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    Yeah, it's going open and the truck won't start. If I replace the resistor it runs for a while. Sometimes a day, sometimes a few days. According to the Haynes manual it should be 1.35 ohms. The resistors I've received have varied a bit in resistance, but have been around that range.

Array
    Status
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Vehicle

1985 Mitsubishi L200
    Engine

G63B
    Can you identify the coil that was used as a replacement? I would tend to think the coil might be the issue...

Array
    Status
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle

1989 Dodge Ram 50
    Engine

G63B
    It doesn't have any markings. Looks just like this one http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo....0328&jsn=10328 .